Perfecting the Tunnel of Fudge Cake

SHA

Reaction score
I don't bake this cake that often to be able to run experiments and I don't like having to guess when it's done baking (it supposed to be a bit underbaked to get a fudgey center). Can someone experienced give me an idea what the internal temperature should be when it's done.

Reaction score
I don't bake this cake that often to be able to run experiments and I don't like having to guess when it's done baking (it supposed to be a bit underbaked to get a fudgey center). Can someone experienced give me an idea what the internal temperature should be when it's done.

Cake is done between 200°F - 210°F.

But, and you knew a but was coming...how a cake (and all baked goods) actually bake depends on a number of factors including the ovep type of heat; insulation, whether it's a fan assisted oven, the type of pan, and the formula.

Always use an oven thermometer and check preheated oven to ensure it is at correct temperature before baking.

A fan assisted oven will bake hotter than a conventional oven. ake will form a hard dry crust on top and on all sides the batter is in contact with the pan significantly sooner than the center is baked. Reduce oven temperature by 7% - 10% when using a fan assisted oven. If you have a home convection oven, don't use convection mode.

Dark metal and/or coated metal conduct heat more intensely, which will also result in a hard dry crust forming on all sides in contact with the batter. Ditto for anodized aluminum pans. Reduce oven temperature by 7% - 10% when using this type of bakeware.

The depth of the pan also effects baking. A deep pan (e.g., 4” tall cake pan, bundt pan, tube pan, pans larger than 10” in circumference) holds significantly more batter. So the top, sides, and bottom will usually bake long before the center. Reduce temperature by 7% - 10% when using deep or large pans.

Formula is also a factor. A cake low in fat (e.g., butter cake approx 45% fat; chiffon cake approx 50% fat) the oven temperature should be lower to prevent a dry cake. A pound cake with 100% fat can bake at 350°F in a conventional oven and a natural, light metal, uncoated came pan without drying out.

Too much sugar in a formula will cause over browning. Too much egg will result in a rubbery cake.

Most cake recipes call for baking at too high a temperature. A done cake spring back when gently pressed; should not have a dry hard dark crust; should not “volcano” (dome and crack). Domed crack cake is indication of too high an oven temperature and/or pan that conducts heat too intensely.

Given the variables that effect how a cake bakes, it is necessary to tweak a cake recipe Always take the variables into account; try different temperatures to see what works best with your oven and bakeware. Check for doneness cake before time stated in recipe. Time is just a guideline. Cake is done when it's done.

Cake should be moist with a soft crumb. It would not dome and crack. This cake was baked at 350°F; but the cake is level; it is soft and moist, no dry hard crust.
IMG_6984.jpeg

Cake should not have a dry hard dark crust. White cake should be white, not dark brown. If the cake bakes with a dry hard dark crust, then the temperature is too high and/or bakeware conducts heat too intensly
IMG_2014.jpeg

Example of how cake pan effects results. Same batter, baked in same oven at same time. Top cake with hard da

IMG_0679.jpeg

Even if cake is baked in coated metal pan, it should still have a soft and moist crust.
IMG_0987.jpeg

SHA

Reaction score
I always appreciate your thorough analysis ! So if cakes are around 200 F and custards around 150-170 F should I try for around 180 F ?

Reaction score
I always appreciate your thorough analysis ! So if cakes are around 200 F and custards around 150-170 F should I try for around 180 F ?

There’s a lot of different recipes for tunnel of fudge cake. Some use cocoa powder and chocolate; some use box pudding mix. The original used a fudge mix that is now discontinued.

The constant is the high egg and sugar (both granulated and powder) content.

Sugar is hygroscopic (pulls water from it's environment); egg have a high water content. So both contribute to the soft center. 180°F will leave the center soft, but might not be a high enough temperature to set the cake. I would try between 190°F - 200°F and see how the cake bakes up.

The key is to find a balance between the effects of the sugar and egg. Remember high sugar content will promote too much browning if baked to high a temp for too long; high egg content will result in a rubbery texture if over baked.

Ask a Question