Pie baking variances

Reaction score
I recently made an apple pie and all I had were the 8" round disposible baking dishes. I went to bake the pie in accordance to the recipe and forgot to take into consideration that the recipe I used was for a 9" inch pie and baked it for 45 minutes. The filling tasted great but the bottom crust was hard. How much time do you take off of the baking time when you bake a pie that is an inch smaller than the baking instructions you are using?

Reaction score
That's a tricky question - if you use a tin with a smaller diameter, but use the same quantity of ingredients, then it will be thicker. If that's the case, I would be tempted to lower the oven temperature a little and keep checking it until it's done.

Reaction score
Yeah, what Becky said.

Also...

If you are using disposable tin foil bakeware, then those things are super thin, and you would have to adjust your baking time anyway just because of that.

If lowering the temp does not work, then I would bake a shorter period of time.

Depending on your oven, the temp, and baking conditions (tin bakeware).....I would say 10-20 minutes LESS baking time...per each inch LESS that what the normal recipe is calling for. In this case, I would have pulled the pie out 15 minutes early.

Reaction score
I will try keeping a better eye on the pie next time I decide to bake one. Perhaps 10 to 15 minutes less baking time would do the trick. I never really considered that the disposable baking tin would be thinner and therefore take less time to bake than a regualar baking dish. Makes sense though.

Ask a Question