Pie Crust for a Meat Pie

Reaction score
I want to make a pie crust for a meat pie but it's been a while since I've made a pie crust from scratch. Does anyone have any pie crust recipes that are simple? I'm a little nervous of it not turning out.

Reaction score
I don't have one myself but if you google the show recipes you will find noe at this site. Carla Hall made on on the show that looks fool proof. No need to be nervous If it does not work out you can alway give it another go.

Reaction score
Here's my favourite recipe - it's by Nigella Lawson in her Feast book (the chicken pot pies recipe). It's really simple and the results have been consistently excellent!

450g plain flour
225g cold unsalted butter
2 eggs (plus 1 extra for glazing, or alternatively use milk)

Put the flour in a bowl, dice the butter into cubes and add it to the flour. Give it a gentle shake to coat the butter, then put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. While it's in there, beat the two eggs with a tablespoon of iced water, and put this mixture in the fridge.

Put the butter and flour into a food processor and blitz until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Slowly pour the egg & water mixture into the processor while it's running until the pastry comes together. If you need a bit more liquid then use iced water - you want it to just come together in a ball.

Wrap the pastry in cling film and put it in the fridge to rest before using. You should have enough for two pies (4 servings).

The pastry melts in your mouth when it's cooked, yum! :) It also freezes well if you don't want to use the whole amount at once.

Reaction score
You could also skip the pie crust and use store bought puff pasty instead. What about a thin layer of bread dough in the place of a crust that could also work.

Reaction score
I no longer make my own pie crust. When I make my French Meat Pie, I use the Pillsbury pie crust that is in the refrigerator section of my Kroger. I just unroll it, place it in the pan, add the filling and then top it with the second crust. It is a very good pie crust and is perfect for someone like me.

Reaction score
I confess I use ready made pastry too; occasionally I will knock up a quick shortcrust for something, but I don't have the patience for dealing with pastry really - especially the puff/flaky varieties. I take my hat off to anyone who is good at pastry, and even though I can do a very good job on a lot of different cakes and bakes, I'm happy to leave pastry to an expert. ;)

Ask a Question