Pie Crusts

Reaction score
Do you prefer to make your own pie crusts from scratch, or do you like using the store bought pre-made ones? I've made some decently good pies with the store bought pie crusts. They're usually a little crunchier too, which adds a good texture.

Reaction score
Actually I always use store bought crusts for my pies. Because I am afraid that it might turn out not that good. But I really want to try making my own crust and I do hope one day I can make it on my own.

Reaction score
Do you prefer to make your own pie crusts from scratch, or do you like using the store bought pre-made ones? I've made some decently good pies with the store bought pie crusts. They're usually a little crunchier too, which adds a good texture.

When I was eating gluten, I would make my own pastry most of the time. The main exception would be puff pastry and filo pastry - both seem like far too much hard work, and the store bought versions are really good!

I really like Nigella Lawson's technique for making shortcrust pastry - rather than rubbing the butter into the flour, you cut the butter into chunks, put it in the flour, and put the whole lot in the freezer to get really cold (but not frozen solid). Then you blitz it together in a food processor, adding a little iced water to bring it together. It's so easy and makes really good pastry :)

Reaction score
I love to make my own pie crusts, because they store bought don't taste the same and they are more expensive! My mom actually always liked the crust most, she always complimented mine :) She still does, even when I made no bake pies. I just love to be able to make my crust as thick as I want.

Reaction score
I love to make my own pie crusts, because they store bought don't taste the same and they are more expensive! My mom actually always liked the crust most, she always complimented mine :) She still does, even when I made no bake pies. I just love to be able to make my crust as thick as I want.
Then you are going to have to teach me. I could eat crust and leave out all the other stuff in between. A hint of what's in the recipe with 100% crust is very satisfying to me.

Reaction score
Pie crust is one of those things that intimidates me as a baker! I love pies, but I find that they're usually being made for a special occasion or family get-together - so I always buy store bought crusts to minimize stress and not have to worry about them not turning out the way I want them to. I wish there was a foolproof recipe out there! If anyone has one that is super reliable I'd love you to share...maybe then I will be able to practice and make it from scratch!

Reaction score
Then you are going to have to teach me. I could eat crust and leave out all the other stuff in between. A hint of what's in the recipe with 100% crust is very satisfying to me.

Of course! It's very simple, all you need are some digestive biscuits or any other cookies that looks like this:

151059_mariasgamesa_principal.jpg

You just place 6 of them in the blender until they turn into dust, do the same until you are done with a whole package. Then just melt about half cup butter in the microwave. Just mix it with your cookie dust, add to a pie dish and that's it! The thing tastes so amazing we could actually eat it without anything on top! I use salted butter ;)

Reaction score
I used to be intimidated by the idea of making pie crust, but actually they're pretty easy. I have my old cookbook I bought when I first moved out on my own, and use the recipe from there. There are only a few ingredients, and rolling it out isn't much of an issue. However, although I can do that for a one crust pie, doing it for a two pie crust takes too much out of me, so for those, I just use the store bought crusts, unless I'm having a really good day.

Reaction score
Well, I never.....Thanks Trellum, and Diane the idea of me making a crust seemed like something in the distant future. What Trellum presented is so simple, it's frightening. Besides my spring form pans being full of rust, I've stayed away from trying a cheesecake thinking I just won't get the crust right. I'm guessing it's a similar process for the crust of a cheesecake?

Reaction score
this is what I've been using for my apple and lemon pie

this is for a single layer pie
  • 1 2/3 cups flour
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup milk (I use 1%)
  • 1/3 cup oil (I use extra light olive oil)
I have substituted corn oil for the olive oil,i think it makes a crisper crust

1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
  3. Stir in milk & oil all at once & combine with fork.
  4. Shape into a 5-inch disc and place between 2 sheets of floured wax paper. Roll into a 12-inch circle.
  5. Place into pie pan and trim or flute edges.
  6. Prick the crust with a fork 15 times and cover the rim with a pie ring or foil to prevent burnt edges. Bake for 15 minutes or until it's lightly browned. When it's done, set on a wire rack to cool & reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
  7. While the crust bakes, start the filling.
I've been using this for a double crust pie,as in a apple pie

• 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup low fat milk (I use 1%)
  • 1/2 cup oil (I used extra light olive oil)
again i used corn oil

1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
  3. Stir in milk & oil all at once and combine using a fork. Shape into a ball by hand.
  4. Divide dough in two. Shape each into a 5-inch disc. Wrap one in wax paper.
  5. Roll the other half between floured wax paper into a 12-inch circle and place into the ungreased pie pan. Patch where needed, trim edges, and add leftover dough to the other half.
  6. Refrigerate both while you prepare filling. (Do not put the other half of the dough inside the pie pan)
  1. Roll top pastry between floured wax paper and place on top. Trim or flute edges.
  2. Brush top with milk & sprinkle with sugar, avoiding the rim of the pastry.
  3. Poke about 12 slits in the top using a sharp knife. Cut out a 1/2-inch circle in the center to release steam. Place on baking sheet in case of spills.
  4. Cover the rim with a pie ring or foil. Bake for 50 minutes. Cool completely.
i got these from the Jenny can cook website

here is the recipes for both

http://www.jennycancook.com/recipes/homemade-apple-pie/

http://www.jennycancook.com/recipes/lemon-meringue-pie/

the pie crust recipes are easy to make and Jenny says they are better for me health wise :)

Reaction score
Of course! It's very simple, all you need are some digestive biscuits or any other cookies that looks like this:

I can us graham crackers then ? for a crust for a strawberry pie then ? ;)

You just place 6 of them in the blender until they turn into dust, do the same until you are done with a whole package. Then just melt about half cup butter in the microwave. Just mix it with your cookie dust, add to a pie dish and that's it! The thing tastes so amazing we could actually eat it without anything on top! I use salted butter ;)

Reaction score
When I was eating gluten, I would make my own pastry most of the time. The main exception would be puff pastry and filo pastry - both seem like far too much hard work, and the store bought versions are really good!

I really like Nigella Lawson's technique for making shortcrust pastry - rather than rubbing the butter into the flour, you cut the butter into chunks, put it in the flour, and put the whole lot in the freezer to get really cold (but not frozen solid). Then you blitz it together in a food processor, adding a little iced water to bring it together. It's so easy and makes really good pastry :)

we need more details becky,or I do anyway :)

Reaction score
Well, I never.....Thanks Trellum, and Diane the idea of me making a crust seemed like something in the distant future. What Trellum presented is so simple, it's frightening. Besides my spring form pans being full of rust, I've stayed away from trying a cheesecake thinking I just won't get the crust right. I'm guessing it's a similar process for the crust of a cheesecake?

Cheesecake and cheesepie are practically the same thing, the only difference is the kind of pan used... for a pie you use a pie dish, for a cheesecake, well you use a cake pan (I use a short one). But the crust recipe is the same fr cheesecakes and pies.

Reaction score

@Trellum Do you make this type of crust for no-bake pies only, or do you use it also for baked pies? I've seen those cookies here, might have to pick some up :D.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Diane Lane Works great for both ;) I've used them for both kind of pies and every time it turns out great. I must admit though I prefer the taste of baked crust, but you can bake the crust before throwing the filling too. I personally prefer not to, because it's such a pain to turn the oven on! :S So lately I prefer no bake... no bake at all pies.

Reaction score
can you substitute chicken broth for the chicken bouillon cubes and if so,how much ?

You would have to substitute both the stock cube and the milk, I should think. Essentially, the recipe creates a creamy sauce using milk and stock cubes, so if you wanted to use liquid chicken stock instead you would have to use it in place of the milk/stock cube mix. It will probably be more like a gravy, but I imagine that would still be lovely!

Reaction score
This is a whole lot of education for me. I am not feeling on top of the world these last few weeks but I'd surely like to get back in the mood for trying some of these things. Once I am in the kitchen my troubles disappear even if only for a while.

Reaction score
well it is almost time to make another Apple pie,which crust should I use ? the Jenny can cook one is easy,but it comes out usually way on the crunchy side for me,I'm going to try and impress the wife of a guy that did a big favor for me,so I need help

she is a mmmm country women ,so i will have to be great at this,i'm sure she will laugh at me,this is a practice run till the next two weeks or so,I'm going to fire up my smoker and give him a ham and i'm going to send a pie and maybe a loaf of bread

i'm tore between a lemon or apple pie,but I need to step up my crust :) so I need a great recipe for one :)

Ask a Question