Pie Weights and Pie Pastry

Reaction score
I used pie weights twice to blind bake pie pastry. Both times the bottom crust was steamed. Is there a way to use weights without steaming the bottom crust? I'm back to good old-fashioned pricking with a fork now.

Reaction score
What does steamed mean?

Docking, or pricking with a fork, should be standard procedure at all times, whether pre baking or not.

Watch Bruno Albouze's YouTube video. He is a virtuoso pastry chef.

When pre-baking, use microwave-safe "heavy duty" plastic wrap, and fill the pastry with uncooked rice. Fold the edges of the plastic wrap over the rice and bake for 30 minutes at 300F. Remove from oven, carefully lift plastic with rice out, then finish pre-baking for 15 minutes at 300F. The plastic will not melt. I use Stretch-Tite brand plastic wrap for this. The mainstream brands are garbage.

Reaction score
When I lift out the weights, the crust is very moist and letting out steam (soggy!). It looks like the step I need to take is to partially bake with the weights and then finish baking without, also to prick the dough regardless. Thanks for the information!

Reaction score
When I lift out the weights, the crust is very moist and letting out steam (soggy!). It looks like the step I need to take is to partially bake with the weights and then finish baking without, also to prick the dough regardless. Thanks for the information!

Yes, removing the pie weights after 2/3 of the pre-baking time is a good solution. Docking (pricking) should be standard practice for all shortcrust pastry with a flat bottom.

Reaction score
I used pie weights twice to blind bake pie pastry. Both times the bottom crust was steamed. Is there a way to use weights without steaming the bottom crust? I'm back to good old-fashioned pricking with a fork now.
In bakeries we tried to avoid blind baking, but sometimes theres no other way, banana cream pie for example.
The quickest method was just double mold with a tray on top.
Four 9 inch foil pans lined with dough on a sheetpan, place second mold in each mold and a second sheetpan on top to weigh it down.
Remove top tray and extra mold part way through and let them dry out as they finish baking.
Anything to avoid dealing with loose beans.

Ask a Question