Pies - Not just what granny used to make

Reaction score
If you liked my thread on different flavors of frosting's that can be made, then you will probably like this as well.

We all know about the standard pie. Most of us have had chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, coconut pie, or/and pecan pie.

But did you know for as many ingredients there are out there in the big wide world, there are different kinds of pie combinations?

OrchardPie1-300x249.jpg

Reaction score
One of my favorite pies is Mincemeat Pie.

Which had me wondering some years back.....if this pie has all of these different ingredients in it, and makes such a wonderful end product, then why can't other different ingredients make other wonderful pies???

Again, I used to work in bakeries for some time, and we got to experiment with pies. We also had customers requesting their own concoction for pies, which was pretty neat.

Some pie filling combo's--

Rhubarb and Strawberry (which is common in Britain, or so I've been told)
Pecan and Apricot
Peach, Cinnamon, and Marshmallow
Apple, Cranberry, and Coconut
Apricot, Cream Cheese, and Pear
Molasses, Pecan, and Pear
Chocolate, Walnut, and Cherry
Cherry, Brandy, and Cream Cheese
Cherry, Amaretto, and Chocolate
Fruit Chutney, Sour Cream, and Cashew
Custard, Bacon bits, and Ginger
Strawberry, Lemon, and Burgandy wine
Peanut Butter, Banana, and Brazil nuts

You get the idea.

Reaction score
@ChesterV I always look forward to your posts - you always think outside the box and it gives me a lot of inspiration when it comes to my own baking. I'm so curious about how the custard/bacon bits/ginger combination would be - I love sweet/salty combinations, and I think the zing from the ginger would add a fun dimension to it as well! Thanks for shaking up my perception of what can go into pies -- your suggestions are anything but boring!

Reaction score
@ChesterV I always look forward to your posts - you always think outside the box and it gives me a lot of inspiration when it comes to my own baking. I'm so curious about how the custard/bacon bits/ginger combination would be - I love sweet/salty combinations, and I think the zing from the ginger would add a fun dimension to it as well! Thanks for shaking up my perception of what can go into pies -- your suggestions are anything but boring!

LOL.
Well, I have never been one to even consider "the box", as it just doesn't even exist to me.

People place such high limitations on themselves and what they can do, but then turn around and expect the things they want and like to be different than others'. You can't have your pie and eat it too! HA HA HA

I keep my eyes open to anything that sounds different, wild, or "out there".

Here's one example of a combination someone in Britain had some years back--
Currant custard, raspberry jam, and blood sausage

Although blood sausage is not something I would ever eat, I hear it is popular in Britain.
I also am not a fan of Currants either, although I do like standard raisins.
I'm sure to a British cook, this combo would be super yummie.

My brain is pretty much a wild card as it is. When I hear someone elses ideas that are not so standardized, it gets my little brain cells firing away and I come up with all sorts of combinations of things.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here are some other ideas for pies, from suggestions I have found online....

Peach, Bourbon, Cinnamon, and Sweet Potato
Blueberry, Cranberry, and Lemon
Tangerine, Allspice, and Lime
Mushroom, Parmesan, Cream Cheese, and wild herbs
Mashed potato, Canadian bacon, and Pineapple
Cheddar, Smoked Turkey, and Green Apple

Reaction score
I am a big fan of frangipane in tarts - it's divine and so moist!

Oh, I love nuts! And this sounds super yummie!!!

I was looking at Frangipane recipes online and fell in lust with this one!!!

Nectarine Frangipane Tart

Ingredients
  1. For pastry dough
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
    • 2 large egg yolks
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons water
  2. For frangipane filling
    • 7 to 8 oz almond paste (not marzipan or almond filling)
    • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
    • 2 large eggs
    • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/4 lb firm-ripe nectarines
  3. For glaze
    • 1/3 cup peach preserves
    • 2 tablespoons water
    • 1 tablespoon Disaronno Amaretto (optional)
    • Special equipment: a pastry or bench scraper; an 11- by 8- by 1-inch rectangular or 11-inch round fluted tart pan with a removable bottom; pie weights or raw rice

Preparation
  1. Make dough:
    1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 375°F.
    2. Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and zest and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps. Add yolks, vanilla, and water and pulse just until incorporated and dough begins to form large clumps.
    3. Turn dough out onto a work surface and divide into 4 portions. Smear each portion once with heel of your hand in a forward motion to help distribute fat. Gather dough together using scraper and form into a ball, then flatten into a rectangle.
    4. Put dough in tart pan and pat out with well-floured fingers into an even layer over bottom and up sides so it extends about 1/4 inch above rim. Chill 30 minutes.
    5. Lightly prick tart shell all over with a fork, then line with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake shell until golden around edge, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights and bake until shell is golden all over, about 15 minutes more. Cool shell completely in pan on a rack. Leave oven on.
  2. Make filling:
    1. Beat together almond paste, butter, sugar, and almond extract in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then mix in flour and salt.
    2. Halve nectarines, discarding pits, then cut into 1/4-inch-wide wedges.
    3. Spread frangipane filling evenly in tart shell. Stand nectarine wedges, skin sides down, decoratively in filling, being careful not to push too far into filling.
    4. Bake tart until frangipane is puffed and golden and edges of nectarines are golden brown, about 1 1/4 hours.
  3. Make glaze:
    1. Heat preserves and water in a 1-quart saucepan over moderately high heat, stirring, until preserves are melted. Remove from heat and force through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl, discarding solids. Stir in Amaretto (if using).
    2. Brush top of hot tart generously with glaze and cool in pan on rack 15 minutes. Remove side of pan and cool tart completely, about 2 hours.
19010_l.jpg

Reaction score
Here are some other ideas for pies, from suggestions I have found online....

Blueberry, Cranberry, and Lemon
Tangerine, Allspice, and Lime
Mushroom, Parmesan, Cream Cheese, and wild herbs
Mashed potato, Canadian bacon, and Pineapple
Cheddar, Smoked Turkey, and Green Apple

The mashed potato, Canadian bacon and pineapple would be a hit with me and my family, I think! And the peach, bourbon, cinnamon and sweet potato would be a fun festive one, I think - maybe 4th of July when peaches are everywhere, but it also makes me think of Thanksgiving with the sweet potato and cinnamon flavors!

Reaction score
the combanation of
minus the bourbon sounds great

Ask a Question