Pink cookies turn brown in the oven

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have been trying to find a way to create pink coloured cookies. My dough is a bright pink, but when I put my cookies in the oven they always turn brown, to the point where you can only see the colour on the inside. I have tried so many things; different sizes, freezing the dough for a longer time, putting the baking tray higher or lower in the oven, using a different type of oven/sugar/butter. I'm still set on baking the perfect pink cookies, but right now I'm kind of at a loss at what to do.

I hope one of you can give me advice or help me with this problem...

Reaction score
try covering them with foil to prevent the browning or lower the temp on your oven.

Reaction score
What kind of cookies are you attempting to make? A shortbread cookie is great for adding food coloring. Also, what brand of food coloring are you using? I would recommend a gel color - the brand “Americolor” is great. Wilton also makes nice gel colors. Water based liquid color is not ideal for getting vibrant colors.

If you bake shortbread at a lower temp, with low or no fan, at say 300-325 degrees F, you should definitely be able to maintain the pink color! I would recommend rolling out your dough to an even thickness, and using cookie cutter to get nice even pieces of dough that will bake evenly and stay the same color all around! Check for hot spots in your oven and rotate often.

Ask a Question