Pissaladière aka cheese-free onion pizza

Reaction score
I made Pissaladière last night - Ian loves onions and is allergic to cheese, so it's the perfect dish for him! If you've never heard of it before, the topping is made from a lot of onions cooked down with fresh herbs until they're thick and sweet, with anchovies and olives on a crisp pizza base. Traditionally you're meant to create a lattice across the top with the anchovies, but we prefer chopping them small and mixing them in with the onions once they are cooked.

Here's the recipe I use: http://blog.boden.co.uk/2011/07/what-were-cooking-french-street-food-pissaladiere/

...and here's how it turned out (it's not the best looking pizza you'll see, but it makes up for it in flavour!):

20180216_194243_resized.jpg

20180216_194252_resized.jpg

20180216_194508_resized.jpg

If you've never had it, and you like onions, this is definitely worth a try. If you're not keen on anchovies then you could always add them to the onions while they are cooking - that way they will melt into them and just give a savoury taste. Alternatively for a vegan version you could add mushrooms instead of anchovies (it definitely needs a savoury flavour to balance out the sweetness of the onions).

Has anyone here tried Pissaladière?

Reaction score
Never tried one, but it looks delicious. Such an interesting combination caramelized onions and anchovies. I love both. But I know that’s not for the faint of heart :D

Reaction score
That looks amazing! I love carmelized onions! When we were at the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival last fall, there was a carmelized onion tart that was one of my favorite bites (we were a party of four so we tried lots of stuff split with our plastic knives). This is a good reminder to look for a good recipe for that too. Easy-blend yeast it just instant or rapid-rise yeast, yes? I am mentally stealing all the olives out of that picture and snacking on them. :)

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you are both onion lovers too! :D

Easy-blend yeast it just instant or rapid-rise yeast, yes?

Yep, that's right - the stuff that doesn't need to be activated in water first, it can just be added straight to dry ingredients.

Reaction score
I made Pissaladière last night - Ian loves onions and is allergic to cheese, so it's the perfect dish for him! If you've never heard of it before, the topping is made from a lot of onions cooked down with fresh herbs until they're thick and sweet, with anchovies and olives on a crisp pizza base. Traditionally you're meant to create a lattice across the top with the anchovies, but we prefer chopping them small and mixing them in with the onions once they are cooked.

Here's the recipe I use: http://blog.boden.co.uk/2011/07/what-were-cooking-french-street-food-pissaladiere/

...and here's how it turned out (it's not the best looking pizza you'll see, but it makes up for it in flavour!):

View attachment 1384

View attachment 1385

View attachment 1386

If you've never had it, and you like onions, this is definitely worth a try. If you're not keen on anchovies then you could always add them to the onions while they are cooking - that way they will melt into them and just give a savoury taste. Alternatively for a vegan version you could add mushrooms instead of anchovies (it definitely needs a savoury flavour to balance out the sweetness of the onions).

Has anyone here tried Pissaladière?

I haven't seen that since I was a dishwasher in 1970 at a patisserie.

Cut into squares with an anchovie placed diagonal and oil cured olive either side of the fish.

Ask a Question