Pizza Anyone?

Reaction score
My daughter is driving me crazy for quite some time now; she is bent on us making a home-made pizza but I don't know how to tell her I'm not the best when it comes to making dough. I can never get it right, the dough is always a bit too tough. I need some help here!

Reaction score
Oh Kammy...buy the dough!
My Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Fresh & Easy markets all carry fresh pizza dough.
Making the dough isn't the fun part...and it will still be fresh, homemade and delicious.

Reaction score
Buying the dough is an option. However; Ree Drummond from the Pioneer Woman show on Food Network does a really good soft pizza dough that my family loves. It is quick and easy and you just mix it up, let it rise for a short time, then pat it into the pan, add the toppings and bake. And it tastes good and is always tender. If you just go to Google or another search engine and look up Ree Drummonds pizza dough it will pop up. The site is nice because it shows step by step how to make the dough

Reaction score
Thank you all for that information, I think I am going to opt for buying the dough first and see if it's to me daughter's liking before trying doing the dough from scratch again.

Reaction score
Buying the dough is an option. However; Ree Drummond from the Pioneer Woman show on Food Network does a really good soft pizza dough that my family loves. It is quick and easy and you just mix it up, let it rise for a short time, then pat it into the pan, add the toppings and bake. And it tastes good and is always tender. If you just go to Google or another search engine and look up Ree Drummonds pizza dough it will pop up. The site is nice because it shows step by step how to make the dough
Thank you for the info! I usually buy the dough and it works quite well, I just put the additions, but I have considered making the dough sometimes. I guess what stopped me is that when my mom makes it at home, it's tasty, but the crust always ends up too hard around the edges, so it's not quite the same. But it will be nice to have my own little experiment and see if I can make full pizza from scratch:).

Reaction score
I am about to make dough in the next 15 minutes as soon as my toddler us asleep I made pizza last week too, I kid you jot if I ate it with my eyes shut I would believe I was eating pizza huts veggie supreme.

Here is the recipe I used

1.25 cups bread flour
7gm sachet instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup milk

Mix all of the above ingredients until combined - it will be more of a cross between a batter and a dough at this point but don't worry. Just mix with a spoon or in a stand mixer until all the ingredients are well combined and then leave in a warm place to rise for an hour or so.

Next add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of flour extra and knead to a smooth dough that you can handle and stretch out to fit your pizza tray.

Leave to rise a second time while you are preheating your oven to 420f, bake the pizza for about 8 mins until you can see that it's starting to form a bread but is still pale. Remove from oven and add your pizza sauce, toppings and cheese. At this point you could also mix a bit of olive oil and garlic powder together and brush on the sides of the pizza. Return to oven until the cheese is melts to your liking.

I hope you like it.i promise you its dead easy please try it. Right she's asleep off to the kitchen!!!

Reaction score
I am about to make dough in the next 15 minutes as soon as my toddler us asleep I made pizza last week too, I kid you jot if I ate it with my eyes shut I would believe I was eating pizza huts veggie supreme.

Here is the recipe I used

1.25 cups bread flour
7gm sachet instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup milk

Mix all of the above ingredients until combined - it will be more of a cross between a batter and a dough at this point but don't worry. Just mix with a spoon or in a stand mixer until all the ingredients are well combined and then leave in a warm place to rise for an hour or so.

Next add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of flour extra and knead to a smooth dough that you can handle and stretch out to fit your pizza tray.

Leave to rise a second time while you are preheating your oven to 420f, bake the pizza for about 8 mins until you can see that it's starting to form a bread but is still pale. Remove from oven and add your pizza sauce, toppings and cheese. At this point you could also mix a bit of olive oil and garlic powder together and brush on the sides of the pizza. Return to oven until the cheese is melts to your liking.

I hope you like it.i promise you its dead easy please try it. Right she's asleep off to the kitchen!!!

Redribbon thank you lots for this dough recipe; sounds pretty easy; i will definitely follow your instructions step by step and see how it works.

Reaction score
I love making homemade pizza dough!! I never ever buy store pizza dough because it just doesn't taste the same. The recipe I use is
1 cup flour
1 Tablespoon of yeast (maybe a little less)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons oil
2/3 cup warm water

Mix it all up and add flour until its not sticky. Put on a pizza pan and add your toppings. Bake at 425 degrees on the middle rack for 12 minutes.

Reaction score
I also use Ree Drummond's recipe for pizza dough and it always turns out great! In fact, every other pizza dough I have tried has been a big fat fail. I like to make double batches of the dough and freeze it for later use. We love pizza around here!

Its also quite possible to make store bought dough taste delicious. I roll mine out and then sprinkle it with garlic, parmesan cheese, and italian seasoning. Then on top of the seasonings, I spread a thin layer of olive oil. Then, I bake the crust just like that for about 10 minutes. After its out, I spread the sauce, cheese and toppings and then bake for another 15-20 minutes. Doing it this way, the pizza always turns out amazing and no one can tell its not homemade.

I hope you find a recipe or some tricks that work for you! Homemade pizza is so delicious when done right!

Reaction score
Thank you all for that information, I think I am going to opt for buying the dough first and see if it's to me daughter's liking before trying doing the dough from scratch again.
If you feel really lazy, you could always just buy some fresh pizza bases. The ASDA where I live has a counter where they'll make any pizza you want in front of you, or you can buy some of the ones they made earlier that day, so it's still fresh and shrink wrapped that day. However you can just ask them to knead...kneed? whatever. You can ask them to just make the base for you, and they'll allow you to make the actual toppings and sauce yourself at home. Quite cheap too!

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever made pizza dough before. We make single serve pizzas at home that are fantastic...well, I should say my husband does. He gets the naan bread from Trader Joes and then puts pizza sauce, lots of fresh basil, cheese, and pepperoni on it. So darn good and soft.

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever made pizza dough before. We make single serve pizzas at home that are fantastic...well, I should say my husband does. He gets the naan bread from Trader Joes and then puts pizza sauce, lots of fresh basil, cheese, and pepperoni on it. So darn good and soft.
Huh...I'd never considered Naan bread as a base for pizza. How does it compare to regular pizzas?

Reaction score
If you really don't want to fight with making your own dough the first time around , try your local family pizza shop. They will sometime sell you dough if you ask. Then maybe the next time the two of you make piza you can try you crust this way she get to make and eat pizza without dissapontment.

Reaction score
naan bread makes a really nice soft crusted pizza and the great part is that they are all personal, as the breads are about 7 inches long and 3 inches wide. I like to get garlic naan as it is very flavorful.

Reaction score
Don't forget french bread pizza. Just but a lof of french bread from your bakery section and then slice in half. Top the bread like you would any other crust. Bake on the oven at 375 . If you have a pizza stone it will make you crust nice and crispy on the bottom.

Reaction score
My daughter is driving me crazy for quite some time now; she is bent on us making a home-made pizza but I don't know how to tell her I'm not the best when it comes to making dough. I can never get it right, the dough is always a bit too tough. I need some help here!
Awww... it's the thought that counts!!! If I were you, I would head over to your local grocery store and pick some up !! I know it would be fun to make the dough but if your making the pizza I am sure that's enough. :) Sometimes kids tend to lose interest if an activity takes too long anyway. I have 4 ... I totally know!!

Danyel :)

Reaction score
I've honestly never made the dough from scratch before...we usually just buy the dough, most stores have it, and you still get a great, fresh, homemade pizza out of the deal ;). But these recipes don't sound so hard after all, and I might give it a try, I know my boys would love making it all from scratch.

Reaction score
I often use the dough that is used to make those big salty buns for my pizzas. It works better than other pizza dough recipes out there. I just use that recipe. You could simply buy it, that dough is also good for pizzas! That in case you can't find the real deal there.

Reaction score
If you feel really lazy, you could always just buy some fresh pizza bases. The ASDA where I live has a counter where they'll make any pizza you want in front of you, or you can buy some of the ones they made earlier that day, so it's still fresh and shrink wrapped that day. However you can just ask them to knead...kneed? whatever. You can ask them to just make the base for you, and they'll allow you to make the actual toppings and sauce yourself at home. Quite cheap too!

Have you tried making the pizza base with a dough originally prepared to make a baguette? I have and the results were amazing! It's just they had ran out of fresh pizza dough, but they still ha dough to prepare baguette, so I went for it and it was amazing!

Reaction score
My boyfriend uses this recipe he found online and it's always worked out wonderfully. Sometimes it comes out doughy-er than other times, but I like my pizza dough doughy :) Let me know if you'd like the recipe!

Also it may or may not help to cook the pizza on a pizza stone thing. My boyfriend got one from his mom when she was cleaning out the garage and we use it all the time for our pizza/calzone foods. It gives it that really nice crisp on the bottom :)

Ask a Question