Pizza Dough Mix - Yay Or Nay?

Reaction score
A local discount grocery store sells these pouches of pizza dough mix dirt cheap (as in like 59 cents a pack). My past attempts at making pizza dough, or bread for that matter, with yeast and flour has been a disaster. I know part of this has to do with me using all purpose flower because the stores near me seldom carry bread flour.

The dough would at least rise, but it took several hours. I noticed on this pizza dough mix it says to rise it for only about 15 minutes. Does anyone know if this stuff will actually rise more like regular dough if I let it go longer? Or am I wasting my time?

Reaction score
I never succeeded getting that type of pizza dough mix rising, so I opted to buy a pre-baked pizza crust sold in the same stores that says to be handy for either over or stove top preparation, and this was worst because I ended up with a pizza that resembled a giant flat tortitlla.

I believe that a pizza dough mix that requires long hours to rise is not worth because you can mix your own and get it rising withing an hour, while the pre-baked pizzas are only good if you need to get a quick and cheap pizza-like for unexpected guests.

Reaction score
I have tried that store bought pizza dough mix before. It is just awful, the texture the taste, and the appearance is all wrong. It is not even worth 59 cents ,if you don't want to east it. Give it up on this dough mix it just does not deliver. Don't waste anymore of your time.

Reaction score
Never did those. We have an Italian Deli a few streets from us, and they sell their pizza dough daily. Only a $1 so when we do make pizza, I pick one up. I have tried from scratch but usually run out of time with the rising/waiting issue.

Reaction score
I have actually bought the packaged dough from a local market called Fresh and Easy. Sometimes they put the dough on sale for as low as 25 cents and I buy it up and freeze it. I have thawed it in the frig, let it rise at room temperature and have had it do just fine. It makes great pizza and foccacia. Perhaps it is just the store you are getting it at.

Reaction score
I've used a pizza dough/crust mix and it turned out excellent, granted I added my own seasonings right into the mix/crust. The only issue I had with the product is that it only made a pizza that would be serveable to two or three people. Thankfully it was only my boyfriend and I eating that night. However, the pizza crust mix and the sauce were around a dollar put together, so it wasn't a bad price for a meal in my opinion.

Reaction score
If the dough mix is organic then I would be all for it. Though, making it at home will turn out to be cheaper and you will have more. You may think you are getting a steal but if you would just make it yourself. You would be coming out paying less.

Reaction score
Never know until you try! I've always made my own, so I have no experience. How do you go about the rise, maybe we could help you figure out why it's not working for you?

Reaction score
OK, so I did end up giving this stuff a try just for the heck of it. While it is nowhere near the type of pizza crust you would get from a pizza shop, it's tolerable when you are trying to save some money and have a pizza craving - but don't want to resort to a dirt cheap frozen pizza.

One thing I've discovered is that although the instructions say to mix the dough and oil it then cover and let it rest for about 15 minutes - I've found it's much easier to stretch it out first on to your pizza pan then cover it and let it rest. For some reason, trying to stretch it out after it has rested was more difficult. It kept springing back to it's original shape and if I pulled too hard on it, it would just tear.

Also, you need to bake these longer than you may think they need. In other words, the pizza may look done, but when you go to cut it the slices are all floppy and soft. Let it go longer until the outer crust becomes a darker brown and the bottom will be done just right.

Reaction score
A local discount grocery store sells these pouches of pizza dough mix dirt cheap (as in like 59 cents a pack). My past attempts at making pizza dough, or bread for that matter, with yeast and flour has been a disaster. I know part of this has to do with me using all purpose flower because the stores near me seldom carry bread flour.

The dough would at least rise, but it took several hours. I noticed on this pizza dough mix it says to rise it for only about 15 minutes. Does anyone know if this stuff will actually rise more like regular dough if I let it go longer? Or am I wasting my time?
I always let my dough rise for at least the whole day. If I think about it, I will make it the night before, or morning of. The recipe I usually use says to let it rise for 18 hours. Maybe try thinking ahead with your own dough and see if it works better?

Reaction score
Hmm. Pizza dough is not something that I have adventured in.

I love the NY style pizza crust. I like the taste, the texture and the fact that is made by someone else.

There are parts of baking that I am no good at, So i stick to cakes, desserts, pastries.

Reaction score
I've never had success with that kind of mix- it doesn't rise/look right, and it doesn't taste right :(. I know it's dirt cheap & all but pretty pointless if it comes out virtually inedible!

Reaction score
My boyfriend has used it several times and it worked just fine for him. He has made us all kinds of pizzas and they were really good. He also has used the mix to create what we call "Ranboli", it's similar to a stromboli but he gets super creative with it and we call it Ranboli because his name is Randy.

Reaction score
Personally no but to many of my friends they loved it back in elementary we were making pizza from scratch and some of the kids ate it plain I guess it just depends on the person. LOL

Reaction score
I'm not big on mixes, I try to stick with organic, non GMO, and make things from scratch. I would like to mention though that when buying things at a discount type store (or any store for that matter) If you are buying a mix that has yeast in it, check the date before you buy it!

Reaction score
Nay. Nay all the way. I've never had one that didn't taste horrible. They tend too put too many ingredients or not enough in them, so there's a gross after taste. In your case though, it may or may not rise. I remember the first time I did the one that I had, it worked correctly. The next time I did it by myself, it did not do correctly. If you are sure you did everything correctly, then I would just leave it; get a pre-made crust. I would probably ask people which do they prefer, because some of those can suck too. I've tried one; it wasn't too nice.

Reaction score
Nay! Pizza dough mix is an abomination to all things good. Pizza dough should be made fresh! Pre mix tends to have unnecessary ingredients in them, which not only is bad for you, but tastes horrendous. That being said, getting the perfect pizza dough is no walk in the park. Even with the right recipe, you need a hot enough oven to get an authentic italian pizza base.

Reaction score
We've used them in the past and they do actually work pretty well. However, I really don't like to deal with all of the hassle of it and I admit that I take the easy way out and just get the cans of Pillsbury pizza dough.

Reaction score
We've used them in the past and they do actually work pretty well. However, I really don't like to deal with all of the hassle of it and I admit that I take the easy way out and just get the cans of Pillsbury pizza dough.

I was thinking about trying that but it was marked way too high for my taste in my local Supermarket. So, I used the next best thing. I got some of their jr. biscuits for .99. I was going to use them to make a pizza but then I noticed I didn't have any sauce. Haha! So, I rolled the meat and cheese into and baked them. Kind of like a hot pocket. Except with real meat. I'm sure the same could be done to make pizza if someone want something quick and kid friendly. It's perfect for families with different tastes.

Reaction score
The only mix I have had any luck with is Jiff the supermarket ones not so much, that said. We use a bread machine for mixing our dough, the recipe we use fits perfectly in a quart Mason jar (the dry ingredients) and we mix them up ahead of time so they go easier.

Ask a Question