Pizza In A Jar - This Has To Be Fake

Reaction score
I came across this recently on a list of things you can do with mason jars. My first reaction was "what?!" - then I looked at the pictures and thought to myself, this has to be some kind of joke.

See for yourself:
http://www.1finecookie.com/2011/10/pizza-in-a-jar/

It's not even feasible - the small amount of dough isn't even big enough to make a pizza from it. Then they put the basil leaf on what would have to be the bottom of the dough once removed from the jar because the other side is covered in sauce.

I'm thinking the author was trolling more or less.

Reaction score
Ok, I just looked at the site you posted. It looks really good in the picture, but I have to agree with you that it would never work. If it did work, it would never be big enough for anything. I think the author was trolling as well.

Reaction score
The way you're thinking of it, it wouldn't work. The way she is doing, it does work. She is not removing anything from jar, rather she baking the entire thing in the jar and then eating from the jar. It's literally pizza in a jar. Unlike the cookies in a jar that are so popular but must be removed from the jar and mixed with the binding ingredient before being baked.

Anyway, she says:
You will bake at about 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. When you bake it, place the jars in a deep baking dish that is filled with water. submerge the jars into the water (standing up) and place on baking rack to bake.

and then one of the photos is of it all baked up and ready to eat. Interesting.

Reaction score
The way you're thinking of it, it wouldn't work. The way she is doing, it does work. She is not removing anything from jar, rather she baking the entire thing in the jar and then eating from the jar. It's literally pizza in a jar. Unlike the cookies in a jar that are so popular but must be removed from the jar and mixed with the binding ingredient before being baked.

Anyway, she says:

and then one of the photos is of it all baked up and ready to eat. Interesting.

You're correct. Recipes like this are made to cook and eat inside of the jar. Trying to take it out would ruin it. There's also cake recipes that allow you to have small individual cakes inside the mason jars. They are baked into the jar and eaten from it.

Reaction score
Why would I want to eat my pizza out of a jar ? Something about this is just wrong. This is not pizza it is a casserole baked in a jar. The crust will not be crispy is going to bea doughy soggy mess . Sorry I think this would only appeal to kids.

Reaction score
Why would I want to eat my pizza out of a jar ? Something about this is just wrong. This is not pizza it is a casserole baked in a jar. The crust will not be crispy is going to bea doughy soggy mess . Sorry I think this would only appeal to kids.

More or less, yes, it's a "pizza casserole." It's definitely not pizza in the traditional sense, but it has all the pieces.

And as the others said, this is real. She's not trolling. It gets baked directly in the jar and eaten straight from it.

Reaction score
More or less, yes, it's a "pizza casserole." It's definitely not pizza in the traditional sense, but it has all the pieces.

And as the others said, this is real. She's not trolling. It gets baked directly in the jar and eaten straight from it.

Who said she was trolling ?

Reaction score
The second suggestion on the site appeals more to me: blind-baking the first layer of dough before adding the wet ingredients and the last cap of dough. I would try this, just for kicks. It's something new and interesting, and it would definitely appeal to kids (and the resident pizza fan, my husband). I would think of it more like an upside-down deep dish pizza or a literal pizza pie. Regardless of what we call it, the idea is sound and the result could be absolutely delicious.

Reaction score
It looks like it really does get baked and eaten in the jar, but Minot sure if I myself could get it to turn out that way...not sure how she did it!

Reaction score
I can't believe what I have just seen. Who would possibly think of making pizza in a jar :) But at the same time it's flexible and interesting, because you can carry it around with yourself and eat it whenever you want.

Reaction score
I really do love pizza, but pizza in a jar doesn't appeal to me. It is like a casserole and I'm not a big fan of casseroles. They flavors are there, but I love a crispy crust.

Reaction score
I love pizza. I don't care how it was made or whatever form is it in. I just wonder, why give yourself a hard time scooping out a pizza from a jar if you can pick it up bare handed and just put it in your mouth without any hassle? I get that it's unique and might attract customers, but where's the innovation in that?

Ask a Question