Planning a kitty litter cake

Reaction score
Inspired by this post by jennywren, I am making a kitty litter cake for my friend's birthday! She has two cats, and the invites she sent out on facebook included the following photo so I thought a kitty litter cake would be appropriate!!

IMG_2692-1-625x677.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a rhubarb and custard cake, with either crumble or crushed biscuits on the top to look like kitty litter.

The only problem I have is that I've never actually done a tray bake before! I always always bake round cakes, so I'm not sure whether I'll have to upscale the recipe - and if I do need to upscale quantities, by how much. I have bought a cheap kitty litter tray and scoop, and it is almost exactly the same shape and size as a roasting tin I have. I have roughly checked the volume of my cake tins against the volume of the tray, and I think it will either need to be double or one-and-a-half times the original recipe.

This is the recipe I'll be using:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/best-birthday-cake-118

I've made it before to celebrate when my brother got a new job, and it went down really well (a bit too well, we ate it up in no time!!). The structure of the cake will be:

Fake cat poo made from chocolate truffle (just melted chocolate and cream)
Fake kitty litter - either crumble or crushed custard cream biscuits (click here if you don't know what they look like)
Custard buttercream as per the recipe (I think I will need to either triple or quadruple the amount)
Custard sponge
Rhubarb jam (possibly Rhubarb and Ginger jam)
Custard sponge

What do you think? Any suggestions welcome! :)

Reaction score
Personally I would say to double the recipe to make sure you fill the pan. You can always cut back some and I assume the "kitty litter" top will cover anything up and be quite forgiving.

The fake poo is funny. Have to admit I always thought "almond rocha" was too close for comfort ..the look not the taste. Bottom line I am sure your friend will love it and the thought you put in. Good luck!

Reaction score
Annoyingly I've come down with a virus so can't go to the party! :( I'll still make the cake for her another time. Grrr!!

Reaction score
Annoyingly I've come down with a virus so can't go to the party! :( I'll still make the cake for her another time. Grrr!!
Well hope you feel better soon. You have gotten my wheels turning for a few feline lovin' friends of mine!

Reaction score
Inspired by this post by jennywren, I am making a kitty litter cake for my friend's birthday! She has two cats, and the invites she sent out on facebook included the following photo so I thought a kitty litter cake would be appropriate!!

IMG_2692-1-625x677.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a rhubarb and custard cake, with either crumble or crushed biscuits on the top to look like kitty litter.

The only problem I have is that I've never actually done a tray bake before! I always always bake round cakes, so I'm not sure whether I'll have to upscale the recipe - and if I do need to upscale quantities, by how much. I have bought a cheap kitty litter tray and scoop, and it is almost exactly the same shape and size as a roasting tin I have. I have roughly checked the volume of my cake tins against the volume of the tray, and I think it will either need to be double or one-and-a-half times the original recipe.

This is the recipe I'll be using:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/best-birthday-cake-118

I've made it before to celebrate when my brother got a new job, and it went down really well (a bit too well, we ate it up in no time!!). The structure of the cake will be:

Fake cat poo made from chocolate truffle (just melted chocolate and cream)
Fake kitty litter - either crumble or crushed custard cream biscuits (click here if you don't know what they look like)
Custard buttercream as per the recipe (I think I will need to either triple or quadruple the amount)
Custard sponge
Rhubarb jam (possibly Rhubarb and Ginger jam)
Custard sponge

What do you think? Any suggestions welcome! :)

That cake sounds both delicious and gross. I'm sorry you didn't get to make it this time. I hope you feel better.

Reaction score
Feeling ok now, so the plan is back on! She's coming over to watch the final episode of Breaking Bad on Monday so I'll do it then. We had some family up over the weekend and I made the custard cake (just a round one, not a tray bake). I put strawberry jam and custard buttercream between the two sponge layers and it was delicious:

Custard cake.JPG

I'm still undecided about the Rhubarb and Ginger jam - I bought some in and it's quite gingery... but then I've had ginger sponge puddings with custard before and it works well. Decisions, decisions!

Ask a Question