Plum Crumble

Reaction score
I love plums, but rarely end up having them on hand. I have a can of plums that I want to use to make a recipe, and I found this one recipe that sounds really delicious. It requires fresh plums, but I'm going to just use the can of plums I have, and adjust the other ingredients to compensate. I was going to go in a different direction, but when I saw the picture of this dessert, I couldn't resist trying to make it. As with many of my recipes, it's from Taste of Home.

Fresh Plum Crumble Dessert Recipe

Ingredients

• 7 large plums, pitted and quartered
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
Add to Shopping List
Nutritional Facts

1 serving (1 piece) equals 358 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine the plums, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, baking powder, salt, mace and remaining flour. Add egg; stir with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over plum mixture. Drizzle with butter.
  3. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until plums are tender and top is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Plum Crumb Dessert in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p49

Attachments

• plum crumb.jpg
    plum crumb.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 456
Reaction score
I've made plenty of crumbles in my life - but mainly Apple or mixed berries, and the occasional peach one. I love plums and I'm surprised I haven't thought to use them in a crumble before. Might be a nice variation from the usual ones I make!

Reaction score
I've made plenty of crumbles in my life - but mainly Apple or mixed berries, and the occasional peach one. I love plums and I'm surprised I haven't thought to use them in a crumble before. Might be a nice variation from the usual ones I make!

I was thinking the same thing. I've never heard of it done with plums, but it sounds great. I usually prefer peach. I've even done blackberry. I'll have to try plum next time.

Thanks for the recipe @Diane Lane. I would have never thought of this.

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I've never heard of it done with plums, but it sounds great. I usually prefer peach. I've even done blackberry. I'll have to try plum next time.

Thanks for the recipe @Diane Lane. I would have never thought of this.

Yes, I usually use peach, as well. I like both peaches (and nectarines) and plums, but rarely see canned plums, so when I saw the can, I decided I wanted to try something new. Now that it's Thanksgiving week, though, I think I'm going to put that off for at least a few weeks, if not for Christmas, because I have the butternut squash all ready for the pie. I was going to make pumpkin, but since I have never made the butternut squash from scratch, I want to try that.

Reaction score
Yes, I usually use peach, as well. I like both peaches (and nectarines) and plums, but rarely see canned plums, so when I saw the can, I decided I wanted to try something new. Now that it's Thanksgiving week, though, I think I'm going to put that off for at least a few weeks, if not for Christmas, because I have the butternut squash all ready for the pie. I was going to make pumpkin, but since I have never made the butternut squash from scratch, I want to try that.

Oh, plum sounds perfect for Christmas.

I have never tried using the squash. I've always been tempted to do sweet potato pie though. I was thinking about making one this year, but my daughter informed me that she must have my traditional pumpkin pie. Ha, I like that she likes it that much, so I guess I'm going with it this year. The butternut squash sounds delicious too, though. Tempting.

Ask a Question