Poke cake

Reaction score
I am making a poke cake today with yellow cake mix, instant vanilla pudding and cool whip on top. For those of you who do not know what a Poke Cake is, it is very simple and very yummy. You bake a cake in a 9x12 pan and let it cool. The you poke holes in the top with the handle of a wooden spoon or something about that size. Then you mix up the pudding and before it thickens, pour it over the cake in the pan so it seeps into the holes. Cover it with Cool Whip and let it sit in the fridge to give the pudding a chance to thicken. Cut and enjoy. I have done this with yellow or white cake mix with vanilla, chocolate, or butter scotch instant pudding. Or with chocolate cake and vanilla or chocolate pudding. It always turns out good.

Reaction score
That sounds quite good :) I had heard about poke cakes before, but using jello instead of pudding. Never tried them before, because I am no fan of jello. But the pudding idea sounds great, just the other day I was checking a banana cake that is prepared in a similar way.

Reaction score
Sounds good! I didn't realize they were so easy to make! I'm going to keep it in mind next time I need something that looks like it took all day when really it didn't! LOL! Thanks for the suggestion.
I've never heard of using jello. It seems that it would make the cake soggy? :)

Reaction score
This is an interesting recipe too! Today I had learned two recipes from this site that had simple ingredients and are easy to make. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Reaction score
I have had poke cake made with jello and just did not care for it. It seemed to get soggy. The instant pudding sets up fast enough that soggy is not an issue.

Reaction score
I have had poke cake made with jello and just did not care for it. It seemed to get soggy. The instant pudding sets up fast enough that soggy is not an issue.

Me, I am happy just with the cake. I would have a hard time with the jello. I had heard of poke cake before. I honestly thought it was right here. It does seem an interesting approach. Once I do the cake mix, I think I would be satisfied. Maybe just poking a half of the cake can do if any at all?

Reaction score
There is no reason I can think of why you could not poke just half of the cake. You could put the pudding on just the poked half so it could seep into the holes. Then put the cool whip over the entire top.

Ask a Question