Discover the Traditional Lithuanian Poppy Milk

Reaction score
In these days, there are a lot of milk substitutes available in our supermarkets - from almond to soy and oat. One which I haven't seen however is Poppy Milk.

Poppy Milk is a traditional Christmas dessert in Lithunia and is consumed during Lent when diary products are avoided. It is consumed together with tiny poppyseed pastry (tiny hard pieces of bread with no egg or diary added) or even alone.

Preparing it is very simple, and results are quite tasty.

You need:

1 cup Poppy seeds
2 l water
2-3 tablespoons sugar (depending on taste)

1. Pour boiling water over Poppy seeds and leave for some hours - or better yet, over night.

2. Discard the water and process the seeds through a meat mincer, with a pestle & mortar or a ln immersion blender.

3. Pour boiled cooled water over the poppy seeds and pass through a sieve. (This step is optional as seeds can be left - according to taste)

Add sugar and serve.

The milk should be kept in the fridge as it can spoil quickly.

Reaction score
Interesting! I'd never heard of poppy milk before. My local supermarket sells so many non dairy milk alternatives - oat milk, rice milk, almond milk, cashew, soy...but poppy milk has me intrigued!!

Reaction score
Pardon me for my ignorance. But is that poppy seeds the seeds from the opium plant? And I wonder what's the taste of the bread with poppy seeds. Anyway, maybe it is like sesame seeds for flavoring? That means during the lenten season, you consume Poppy Milk and Poppyseed pastry? Wow, that's a lot of poppy you are consuming. Is there no side effect at all? Again, pardon my ignorance on that poppyseed.

Reaction score
I really love how I'm learning a lot from this forum, not only about baking but also about food in general from all over the world. It's actually my first time hearing about Poppy Milk and I thank you so much for orienting us about it. This can really serve as a good alternative to milk especially for people who have intolerance to dairy products. :)

Ask a Question