Poppyseed filling for poppyseed roll

Reaction score
I usually buy the canned poppyseed filling to use with rolls but this time decided to make my own.

I purchased some preground poppyseed and made a paste with it (manufacturer claimed fresh, made on demand - so sounded good). But I noticed right away the paste would not reduce to a smooth texutre, but remained grainy/sandy. It also has a bitter aftertaste. I tried cooking it longer on a lower heat hoping that would smooth it out, but no luck.

Since the paste I've used from cans in the past is always smooth and sweet tasting, I feel this can't be right for fresh prepared paste?

Hoping someone out there might prepare this kind of paste now and then and be able to help me troubleshoot the problem.

Is there something I should have done that would have prevented this outcome, or does it sound like I was sent old/rancid poppyseed?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
I usually buy the canned poppyseed filling to use with rolls but this time decided to make my own.

I purchased some preground poppyseed and made a paste with it (manufacturer claimed fresh, made on demand - so sounded good). But I noticed right away the paste would not reduce to a smooth texutre, but remained grainy/sandy. It also has a bitter aftertaste. I tried cooking it longer on a lower heat hoping that would smooth it out, but no luck.

Since the paste I've used from cans in the past is always smooth and sweet tasting, I feel this can't be right for fresh prepared paste?

Hoping someone out there might prepare this kind of paste now and then and be able to help me troubleshoot the problem.

Is there something I should have done that would have prevented this outcome, or does it sound like I was sent old/rancid poppyseed?

Thanks for your help!

I never heard of buying pre-ground poppy seed. Poppy seed filling is very popular for Jewish cookies. But it’s always ground fresh or made with a commercial filling. IDK, the bitterness sounds like it was rancid. And not surprising if pre-ground.

Reaction score
The pre-made garbage sold in cans is awful, no matter what anyone on the internet says is good about them.

It is possible to purchase pre-ground poppy seed from reputable dealers. Some manufacturers will custom grind. Some specialty stores carry the packaged version, but you have to pay attention to country of origin and sell-by dates. It's not a product with huge demand, so few stores are inclined to carry the pre-ground version, unless you shop in ethnic neighborhoods around the holidays.

Many Slavic bakers use the pre-ground seed to avoid the grinding process at home, which can be a royal pain. A lot of home kitchens do not own a dedicated spice grinder and/or the meat grinding attachment for the Kitchenaid stand mixer. And those antique table clamp grinders on eBay are mostly not worth the trouble.

Bitter seed can easily be found in whole seeds as well, especially if the product is old or has been handled/stored poorly. Professionals claim country of origin matters. They also claim to seek "A Grade" when shopping for quality seeds.

Ask a Question