Pork pie pastry

Reaction score
Hi I have been making pork pies for about 3yrs now and only issue I had was leakage of jelly when inserted, that is has been resolved however this year for my Xmas orders I had a major pastry fail issue, where the pies came out with a hard crust but when cooled it went very soft and collapsed when jelly was inserted, can anyone tell/advise me how to keep the crust hard like you buy from supermarket and big pie manufacturers I made 3 different batches of pastry and all 3 went the same I had very disappointed customers and need to get this issue sorted out asap

Reaction score
Hi I have been making pork pies for about 3yrs now and only issue I had was leakage of jelly when inserted, that is has been resolved however this year for my Xmas orders I had a major pastry fail issue, where the pies came out with a hard crust but when cooled it went very soft and collapsed when jelly was inserted, can anyone tell/advise me how to keep the crust hard like you buy from supermarket and big pie manufacturers I made 3 different batches of pastry and all 3 went the same I had very disappointed customers and need to get this issue sorted out asap

pork pies?
You didn't post a recipe so its impossible to know where the problem is.
You need a hot process dough.
don't use butter, brise is no good for these pies.

This is guaranteed to hold up to the jelly.

1 kilo plus 125 gr flour.
100 gr lard
275 gr softened marg.
375 ml water.
Melt the lard and marg to 40C
Mix into flour , add water last.

Ask a Question