Potato pastry

Reaction score
I used to make a combination wheat flour-mashed potato pastry for pasty/empanada-type pies, which actually worked okay (it was from a WWII recipe, when you had to use every bit of food you could). Has anyone else tried this type of pastry? It tasted fine, but I could never get it to really roll out well....

Reaction score
I'd totally forgotten about potato pastry until I just read this! I have made it in the past, I love trying out all of the old wartime recipes, I've never had one that doesn't work. It is a bit of a struggle to roll out, like most pastries I've made that aren't 100% wheat have tended to be. As you say, the flavour was good though, and I like to cut down on the amount of wheat I eat (it always seems to be in everything, especially baked goods!), so I might try it again!

Reaction score
I have not heard of this "Potato Pastry" but I think I would like to give a try.I am always looking for new things to try. You say you use to make things like pasty empanada type pies, that sounds like it would really be good, maybe you could share one of your recipes for this with us.

Reaction score
When Baking, I enjoy using pastry crust but it has to be flaky and buttery. I am not really into store bought crust but every time I try to make my own dough it never seems to come out right, or it is not sweet or have any flavor to it. I am not to familiar with potato pastry but am not opposed to it either.

Reaction score
I have not tried potato pastry before, but it sounds interesting. I am a fan of making my own pastry because it tastes a lot better than pastries I have tried from supermarket food. I can control what is going in to it also, so that means a healthier product overall.

Reaction score
I love trying out all of the old wartime recipes

This could make a really nice discussion thread, especially during this economy. I would love to read about different food tricks and recipes for times where supplies are scarce.

Reaction score
I haven't ever tried this. I think it sounds great. I would try this but I don't know if it is something my family would eat. I will have to give it a try and see how they like it. I will be looking at recipes online.

Reaction score
I love potato pastry. My grandmother used to make them all the time. I live too far from her now so I haven't got to eat it for a long time. I agree about the world war 2 recipes, even though they were created to make use of anything available most are still pretty tasty.

Reaction score
Potato Pastry it's so good I can't stop eating eat! It is one of my boyfriends favorites. It's a fantastic recipe, and I love making it for my him. I made a Mutton Pie with Potato Pastry for him on his birthday. His birthday was five days ago. I'm not found of Mutton, but my boyfriend loves it! Normally, I like minds with diced steak instead of Mutton. I had some trouble rolling out the pastry, but I figure it out. I suggest anyone to roll it on baking paper, and it will be easier to move. Yummy!!! :p

9261_l.jpeg

Reaction score
This looks so good. Does anyone have the recipe or directions for this? I would love to try it with maybe apple filling or even a cream cheese type of thing. I am from Idaho, I should have known about this shouldn't I have.....:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I've never heard of nor thought to do a potato pastry. I love potato bread, rolls, and cinnamon rolls using potatoes. I'll have to try a pastry, definitely intriguing.

Reaction score
Here is a potato pastry recipe I am going to try over the weekend:

• 1 cup very smooth mashed potatoes, ideally from baked Yukon Gold potatoes

• 2 tablespoonslight olive oil

• 1/2 teaspoonlemon juice

• 1/2 tablespoonbrown sugar1/4 teaspoon sea salt

• 1 cupwhole wheat pastry flour

• 1 teaspoonbaking powder

• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions:
In a mixing bowl, stir together the potatoes, oil, lemon juice, brown sugar and sea salt until well blended.
Add the flour, baking powder and nutmeg and mix well.
Divide in half, wrap each half in cling wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Working one half at a time, roll out into a thin circle between sheets of wax paper.
Turn into a 9" pie plate. Repeat with remaining half of dough.
Use immediately or wrap well in cling wrap, then heavy duty foil, and freeze up to 6 months.

Ask a Question