Powdered egg

Reaction score
I've looked at getting a couple of canisters of powdered/dried egg so that I can make uncooked things without worrying about food safety (can't really go for trusting that fresh egg whites will be safe -- call me squeamish). Yet when I got one, the egg in the tin smelled rather odd. Has anyone got any experience with this? Is that normal? I returned that tin, by the way.

Reaction score
Yes powdered eggs are terrible they are even worse than powdered milk. So I wouldn't recommend using powdered eggs but if you have no other choice then go for it.

Reaction score
I would say learn to make your own powdered eggs and then you'll know it's okay. I make a lot of powdered foods with my dehydrator and they taste so much better than what you can buy in the store. Plus, no preservatives!

I've never made powdered eggs, though. But, a quick stop at Youtube University usually clears things up.

Reaction score
I have heard of fresh eggs in cans but never heard of powdered eggs before. It is certainly interesting to know that powdered eggs are sold in the store because it is convenient and we don't need to worry about the expiry. However, I am a bit skeptical as to whether real eggs are used.

Anyway I believe that anything made traditionally with original ingredients tastes the best! :)

Reaction score
I have tried powdered egg once before and honestly I thought it was disgusting. I guess everyone has unique and individual tastes though so each to their own. I am not sure what process goes on to make them powdered, but I have a suspicion that it's fairly less healthy than regular eggs.

Reaction score
I have to chime in here, I too think powdered eggs are icky. I would really look into learning to trust egg whites rather than going for a not so good alternative.

Reaction score
I've never used powdered eggs, but I've used powdered egg substitute before, and it worked pretty well in baking. It's called Ener-G Egg Replacer.

Reaction score
Egg whites or even regular eggs (which I love) would be so much better. I can't imagine myself ever buying powdered egg. It just seems icky. I love eggs. I could probably live off eggs if I didn't have a notorious sweet tooth. Powdered egg...I didn't even know they existed. What is the point of a powdered egg. I would just use a real one.

Reaction score
Actually, I have tried powdered eggs and it actually tasted like a real egg. I have read many review about powered eggs and I am realistic about the fact that powered eggs might not be exactly like real eggs. I rather stick to my regular fresh eggs. :D

Reaction score
I have heard of powdered eggs but have never tried them. I just recently heard of them a few years ago from my boyfriend who grew up eating them. He said his grandma used to make them for him when he was a kid but we havent found them in any of the stores around here.

Reaction score
I have never used powdered eggs and have never really entertain the thought of using it before...and now that have read most of your feedback it's a sure thing that i'll never be using it..i think i will stick to using my fresh eggs.

Reaction score
Well that sounds rather unpleasant. I don't know if that's "normal" for powdered eggs or not, as I've never used them. I understand being squemish about certain things and concerned with food safety, but I'd still avoid powdered eggs at almost any cost, lol.

Reaction score
I have always stayed away from powdered eggs because I was told they tasted horrible. Judging from what everyone here has said above, very few of use really know anything about the tase or texture of powdered eggs. Should we bother to find out for ourselves or just trust the infomation that has been passed along?

Reaction score
I think powdered egg taste probably depends on the brand. Many years ago, I used powdered eggs a lot in my baking and had no problem with it. The product tasted just like fresh eggs when used in cakes, cookies and even to take the place of regular eggs in things like meatloaf and stuffing.

Reaction score
I have never heard of powdered eggs before, let alone, eat it. I have no clue as to what its suppose to look like and/or smell like. Fresh eggs are the better alternative as you already know what they look and smell like.

Ask a Question