Powdered sugar Vs sugar for cannoli

Reaction score
Some recipes say use powdered sugar , others to use white sugar. Which is the best way to make cannoli cream?

Reaction score
Its a personal preference. Powder sugar has between 2% - 5% cornstarch, usually 3%. So powder sugar thickens. it really depends on the texture you want.

Reaction score
Thanks so it doesn’t effect sweetness it effects texture? Would white sugar (granulated sugar) make for a poor cannoli filling texture? I’m going for an authentic cannoli. I tried with white sugar and ricotta, it came out runny and watery. I’m a beginner with baking...turns out you need to drain the ricotta cheese lol. Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks so it doesn’t effect sweetness it effects texture? Would white sugar (granulated sugar) make for a poor cannoli filling texture? I’m going for an authentic cannoli. I tried with white sugar and ricotta, it came out runny and watery. I’m a beginner with baking...turns out you need to drain the ricotta cheese lol. Thanks

It’s difficult to make an authentic cannoli in the US. The shells in Italy are handmade. There are a variety of fresh ricottas made from either sheep, cow, goat, or water buffalo milks. In the US the shells and ricotta are manufactured and the only milk used is cows milk.

Granulated sugar is the standard in Italy.

(yield 30 pieces)

NOTE: Italian cake flour is not the same as American cake flour. American Cake Flour is bleached, very low protein, and very finely milled. Farina di grano tenero, 00 is unbleached, higher protein and coarser in comparison.

Cake flour 260 g
Sugar 20 g
Lard 30 g
Unsweetened cocoa powder 5 g
Fine salt 1 pinch
Eggs 20 g
Winegar 10 g
Marsala Wine 60 g
Sheep milk ricotta cheese 1 kg
Sugar 130 g
Dark chocolate drop 80 g
Egg a.n. (to brush cannoli’s dough)