Pre baked pastry trays

Reaction score
Can anyone advise please.
Today I bought pre baked pastry in a foil tray to do a custard tart. I did the custard and poured it into the pastry in the foil tray and it immediately started leaking through the pastry base AND foil tray as it has very small holes in its base.
Is this normal and if so how is it possible to put a runny liquid into it and not pass through it?

Reaction score
Was it a pre-baked shell or one that needed to be blind baked first? I generally blind pre-bake a crust for a custard type pie. I don't purchase crust but make my own instead. The crust should be blind (aluminum foil with dry beans or weights to hold in place while crust is baking) pre- baked before filling it.

Reaction score
Can anyone advise please.
Today I bought pre baked pastry in a foil tray to do a custard tart. I did the custard and poured it into the pastry in the foil tray and it immediately started leaking through the pastry base AND foil tray as it has very small holes in its base.
Is this normal and if so how is it possible to put a runny liquid into it and not pass through it?

You cannot use a docked pastry shell for baked custard or fruit pie. The liquid will seep right through the holes.

The docked pastry shell is only used for fillings that are pretty thick and will not be baked. So a curd or cream that has been cooked, strained and brought down to temperature before filling the crust.. A no bake cream filling like a mousse filing.

Ask a Question