Preservatives for homemade cakes

Reaction score
Hello fellow bakers. Trust everyone is well. Question please : as a home baker, what ingredient or ingredients (in the kitchen) can I put in cake batter for preservation for some days. I want to distribute to supermarkets in my home country. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hello fellow bakers. Trust everyone is well. Question please : as a home baker, what ingredient or ingredients (in the kitchen) can I put in cake batter for preservation for some days. I want to distribute to supermarkets in my home country. Thanks in advance.

Hi Akos,

Food preservatives are not readily available to the home baker. In the US there is one company called LoriAnn that repackages commercial mold inhibitor in small quantities. It’s expensive at around $7 USD for 60 grams.

Food preservatives are packaged for commercial use and distributed through wholesale business to business distributors; so they are in large quantities and require a business accounts with the distributor to purchase it.

Food additives are listed under standardize codes to ensure consistent identification of the ingredients from country to country. The list of food additives is referred to as E Numbers. All food additives, including preservatives, are regulated by the government. You will need to check with the governing body in your country that is responsible for regulating drugs and food to determine which preservatives are approved for use.

The link below is to a company that distributes food additives. The list is under E Numbers. Click on the “preservatives” link. Note the preservatives are listed under the chemical names. That is why they don’t make them available to the retail market. Bakers need professional training to understand what they are and how to use them.

Now that said, you’ll find information on the internet about using common pantry ingredients as preservatives. There are no standards for using common pantry ingredients for preservatives. They may or may not work. It’s any one’s guess. In addition all of your baked goods wouldn’t have to be formulated to that particular pantry items.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/analytical-chromatography/analytical-products.html?TablePage=109806885

Reaction score
Wow that is very deep. One needs a lot of money to buy the commercial additives/preservatives here too.

Will using lemon juice help cakes stay for like say a week for the home baker?

Reaction score
Wow that is very deep. One needs a lot of money to buy the commercial additives/preservatives here too.

Will using lemon juice help cakes stay for like say a week for the home baker?

@Akos, Lemon juice contains citric acid which is used commercially as a preservative. However, most commercial citric acid is not from a natural source (citrus fruit), rather it is created from a mold by fermenting a raw material high in starch/carbohydrate.
Most commonly mold is created using molasses, then the mold is fed a starch, normally corn starch. Personally I think it’s pretty gross so I avoid product with citric acid in them.

About 90% of the citric acid used commercially is artificially made in this way. Because it is artificially made and a powder, it’s concentration as well as it’s properties will differ from using fresh lemon juice. So while fresh lemon juice does contain citric acid, the unknowns are in what concentration is fresh lemon juice an effective preservative; will the amount required change the flavor of the cake; will the addition of it change the chemical balance of the batter? I just don’t know what the answer to these questions are.

The other considerstion is citric acid from a natural source (lemon juice) will decompose at high temperatures. A cake will bake to approximately 205°F - 210°F and pretty much total decomposition of citric acid happens at 345°F. So the question is how much, if any, decomposition happens at the temperatures that cake is baked. I’m sorry Akos, I just don’t know the answer to these questions. So I really can’t advise you as to whether or not fresh lemon juice is actually going to be an effective preservative for commercial production.

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Wow, thanks @Norcalbaker59. Please can you think of any kitchen ingredient (s) I can use. I really need help in this.

Akos, I cannot make food addictive recommendations because food products for public consumption must be prepared according to food regulations established by your government. I would recommend you research food additives regulation in your country.

I know it may sound like I’m overly cautious, but here is the US government position on food additives; this is shared by most governments in the world.

“Food and color additives are strictly studied, regulated and monitored. Federal regulations require evidence that each substance is safe at its intended level of use before it may be added to foods. Furthermore, all additives are subject to ongoing safety review as scientific understanding and methods of testing continue to improve. Consumers should feel safe about the foods they eat.”

https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientspackaginglabeling/foodadditivesingredients/ucm094211.htm#more

Reaction score
Hi

I am starting a bakery goods manufacturing business and one of my products is Dates Bar aka Dates square.

I'd like to have the shelf-life extended for about 2 months on room temperature. Could you please advise which chemical preservative is recommended for this product?

Most what I've read is potassium sorbate..is this the right one?

Secondly should I use the preservative for both pastry and for the date filling?

Thanks for your help

Ask a Question