Preserve unbaked pie

Reaction score
Hello I need information I make a pie but when its ready to be put in oven the gas was finished now how can I preserve my pie for 2 to 3 hours

Reaction score
Hello I need information I make a pie but when its ready to be put in oven the gas was finished now how can I preserve my pie for 2 to 3 hours

Freeze any fruit or custard pie. When you are ready to bake it. Preheat the oven with a metal baking tray. Then put it the frozen pie straight in the oven frozen.

Reaction score
just chill it.

You can’t chill it. The fruit filling mixed with sugar will macerate if even a slight amount of moisture is present on the fruit. The osmosis action will draw more water out of the fruit. All that liquid will cause the crust to go soggy.

With a custard filling sitting for two hours or more in the fridge will cause the crust to go soggy.

So if the pie is not going to be baked right away it needs to be frozen.

Reaction score
In practice it proves no problem chilling for a couple of hours.

I just made batches of blackberry and apple pie filling two weeks ago. In about 30 minutes the bowls were full of liquid. That’s just sitting in the bowl before I filled the shells.

Reaction score
That doesn't mean it can't be done.

I’ve been baking for 20 yrs. And in 20 years I’ve taken a lot professional professional training. And I still take training. And I’m pretty clear on the macerated fruit science.

So I’m certain if you mix sugar and fruit and there’s some moisture on the fruit, if put it in a pie shell, then put it in the refrigerator for a two or three hours, osmosis will occur, and that pie crust is going to be soggy.

Ask a Question