Pretzel bread

Reaction score
Is anyone else here a fan of pretzel bread? I love a turkey and cheese sandwich on some nice fresh pretzel bread. Here is the recipe that I have been using to make it.

Dough:
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise
Yeast
2 teaspoons salt
3 cups all-purpose flour, or more as
needed

Boiling Solution:
3 quarts water
3/4 cup baking soda

Egg Wash:
1 egg
1 teaspoon water
Directions:
1. Heat milk and butter until warm (100 degrees to 110 degrees F); the butter will not completely melt. Combine with undissolved yeast and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl. Stir in salt and 2 cups flour, beat for 3 minutes. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Combine boiling solution and bring to a boil. Punch dough down and divide into 2 equal pieces. Form each piece into a tight, smooth ball. Boil each loaf in the solution for 2 minutes, turning after 1 minute. Remove loaves from pot using a slotted spoon and place on a greased baking sheet.
4. Brush with egg wash and cut a cross in the top. Bake for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 10 to 12 minutes until the loaves are evenly browned. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.

Reaction score
I would love to try this recipe. So many restaurants are offering pretzle bread , alot of it is just plain wrong. I have had bread that seems like nothhing mot than a brown salted bagel, other pretzel rolls taste nothing like a pretzel at all. I would be nice to be able to bake my own because buying them can be hit or miss.

Reaction score
I'll have to give this recipe a shot sometime....my boys (and myself, too, on occasion) love pretzel sandwiches and pretzel dogs. Sounds like a pretty good recipe for it =).

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this recipe! I have never made pretzel bread before. I have had it several times, because I like to order my sandwiches on pretzel bread when I go out to eat. I love it! It is so yummy! I think it tastes delicious! :) I am very excited to try making my own! The recipe doesn't look too complex. Hopefully I can make it turn out! :)
Pretzel bread is awesome for sandwiches, but it is also good to just eat on its own dipped in mustard or cheddar cheese sauce.

Reaction score
This is a simple pretzel bread recipe. I make pretzel bread a lot.This bread is savory and chewy. I prepare my sandwiches with pretzel bread. I eat chips or soup on the side.

Reaction score
I have never had a pretzel dog before! I will have to give that a try too. I'll bet a pretzel dog with some good mustard will be delicious!

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I've never tried it but it looks easy to make. I love pretzels. Pretzel bread is even more delicious. I look forward to baking as well as eating pretzel bread.

Reaction score
I had never made pretzel bread before, but I tried this recipe over the weekend and it turned out great!!! Thank you again for sharing it!! It was terrific! I made sandwiches with the pretzel bread, and it tasted great! :) I definitely reccommend it to anyone who is wondering if they should try it or not.

Ask a Question