Problem With Dark Edges On Mini Bundt Cakes

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’ve recently gotten into baking, with pandemic boredom and all. I’ve been working on a vanilla cake, and I like the recipe that I have, the flavor is good, and the cake comes out very moist with the exception of the outer edges around the top of the cake (technically the bottom since it’s a bundt cake and it will be flipped over)
4B253C48-F66C-428F-A00F-77150A3B85CC.jpeg

You can see in the photo I attached what I’m talking about. I’ve tried many things, from reducing the oven temp, to reducing how much I fill the pans. I’m wondering if the pans I got are not the best for baking, they were pretty cheap and thin and I’m not really sure what the black coating on them is. Anyway, I’ll take any advice anyone has to offer. Also, let me know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
It’s the dark metal.

All dark metal, anodized aluminum, and non-stick coated metal conduct heat more intensely.

Cake batter bakes from the outer edge inward. The batter in contact with the pan will bake first. More heat conducted through the metal, the faster and dark the outer crust becomes.

For perfect cake you need 3 things:

• correct oven temperature: 325°F
• uncoated metal pan
• cloth baking strips

Unfortunately finding an uncoated metal Bundt pans is near impossible. The best is a light color interior mini bundt by NordicWare.

These cakes were from the same batter, baked in the same oven, at the same time. The only difference was the cake on top was baked in an anodized aluminum pan. The quality of the two cakes is startling to say the least. The metal makes a significant difference in the cake.

D99BCC69-B3DD-4906-9D6A-19A8EEFD20D3.jpeg

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I sort of had a feeling it was the pans. I ordered one from Nordic Ware today. It says the color is silver so hopefully it will improve my results. Unfortunately I have to wait over a week for it to arrive! I guess I’ll work on my glaze/frosting in the meantime.

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I sort of had a feeling it was the pans. I ordered one from Nordic Ware today. It says the color is silver so hopefully it will improve my results. Unfortunately I have to wait over a week for it to arrive! I guess I’ll work on my glaze/frosting in the meantime.

I think you will be happier with the NordicWare pan. You won’t be able to illuminate the browning totally in bundts since the pans aren’t uncoated and cloth baking strips aren’t possible. But with some tweaks you will get a better product.

Ask a Question