Pumpernickel--kind of

Reaction score
I am trying to replicate a loaf of pumpernickel bread i purchased from Whole Foods. I moved and can't get it any longer. It is not like a traditional heavy pumpernickel--is very dark, almost black, but not grainy or heavy, more like a regular white yeast bread EXCEPT the most important part is that it is extremely moist, particularly towards the bottom crust, and chewy. Not chewy like a baguette, but chewy like almost steamed (except i asked them and they don't steam it). It also has a very rich dense flavor, but not really very heavy on rye flavor. It is not a sourdough. I've tried various rye recipes but am not getting the moist chewy texture or the really rich flavor. I am not an expert bread baker at all. Any suggestions much appreciated. I have a photo but don't see how to post it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would suggest getting on Whole Foods website to see if you can order that bread online for delivery.

I used to work in grocery store bakeries, and I can tell you that most stores either use standard premixed ingredients, where they just add the wet ingredients to it......or they have their own recipes.

If you cannot or do not want to order the bread online....I would suggest asking the company for their recipe or what brand of premix they use. Some stores don't mind giving out their recipes, so it never hurts to ask.

I may have to stop at Whole Foods on the way from work one day and get some of that bread....it sounds AWESOME!

If all else fails, do you have a friend or family member who can purchase the bread and ship it to you?

Ask a Question