Pumpkin (and Squash) Recipes from Martha Stewart

Reaction score
I love squash pie, but it's impossible to get canned squash where I live. My mom will sometimes send it to me, but I might try making some from scratch this holiday season. I never would have thought of adding sage in, as Martha does in the first recipe (Heirloom Squash and Pumpkin Pie) on this link. I like her recipes because they're a bit different than the usual, and I've never made one that didn't inspire raves.

I love pumpkin pie, but also enjoy squash pie. The squash pie is usually a bit milder and smoother, while the pumpkin is a spicier and richer, with a hint of nuttiness. It's also a bit darker, at least when using canned squash/pumpkin. Her brulleed pumpkin pie also looks scrumptious. It's on the link, and if you don't like any of those recipes, there are numerous others on the site itself.

Reaction score
Love the idea of trying squash pie - I've never made a pie with squash but the idea of it being milder and smoother has me curious!

You're always great with providing me inspiration for new dishes - so thank you! The link is awesome for a range of new pumpkin ideas!

Reaction score
I got some squash the other day that was really sweet. It was the sweetest I had in ages. Sometimes I'll do a vegetable pie mixing other veggies. The list is quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
For us, it will always be squash pie although it doesn't sound right like pumpkin pie. I remember one Halloween seeing a real pumpkin in the supermarket. But it was more for decoration although the store attendant said that it is edible and can be eaten (of course). However, I had no intention of buying, just curious. But with this pumpkin pie in the threads, I am thinking of challenging my husband to make a pumpkin pie with a real pumpkin because I have this feeling that there will be pumpkins again in the S&R supermarket (they sell goods imported from the US). So maybe I have to prepare a recipe so my husband will be motivated.

Reaction score
For us, it will always be squash pie although it doesn't sound right like pumpkin pie. I remember one Halloween seeing a real pumpkin in the supermarket. But it was more for decoration although the store attendant said that it is edible and can be eaten (of course). However, I had no intention of buying, just curious. But with this pumpkin pie in the threads, I am thinking of challenging my husband to make a pumpkin pie with a real pumpkin because I have this feeling that there will be pumpkins again in the S&R supermarket (they sell goods imported from the US). So maybe I have to prepare a recipe so my husband will be motivated.

Which squash do you use for the squash pie? Is it more of a sweet or savory taste? The typical American pumpkin or squash pie leans more savory, although there is of course a little sugar and cinnamon added in. I think maybe that's why I like it. Although it's a dessert, it's less sweet than many typical desserts, and some of my favorite spices are used.

Reaction score
Which squash do you use for the squash pie? Is it more of a sweet or savory taste? The typical American pumpkin or squash pie leans more savory, although there is of course a little sugar and cinnamon added in. I think maybe that's why I like it. Although it's a dessert, it's less sweet than many typical desserts, and some of my favorite spices are used.

The squash I'm talking about is the squash that we add to the vegetable dishes. I know there is a variety of squash but I'm not well versed with it. All I know is the yellow and the orange which is more expensive but has better texture that is sticky. So maybe this orange type of squash is good for substitute to pumpkin. Honestly, we still have to bake squash pie, I am only lamenting the fact that we have no pumpkin here so we have to settle for squash.

PS. It looks like cinnamon is a good flavor to spike the squash pie. Let me think about it. Halloween is still far anyway.

Reaction score
The bruleed one sounds so good. I don't happen to have a kitchen blow torch though. I don't think my husband will let me borrow his for baking. It will be fun to see his expression when I ask though, ha ha.

The pumpkin muffins sound quite tasty as well.

I'm not really into the pumpkin stuff as much as many people are, but some of these sound really good. Thanks for sharing this.

Ask a Question