Pumpkin Carving

Reaction score
It's not exactly baking, but it's a fun activity that we do for centerpieces for feasts during this time of year; I'm talking about carving a pumpkin! How many of you do it? I've seen some fascinating ones that have extreme detail, whereas mine is just a few triangles with a smile! This year I want to create something extraordinary and put it on the table, I'll probably draw it first and then carve it out. I already bought my pumpkin. We usually place it on the center and put all the pumpkin-made goodies around it. :D

Reaction score
Fun! :) My husband has been known to make some pretty detailed carvings. I'm not a carver myself - I don't like the feeling of the pumpkin's insides! LOL
Both of my kids like to carve and my son did a pretty detailed pumpkin last year. My daughter is trying her hand at it this year and is going to do a Harry Potter
design she found online. I like how all the detailed ones look too.
Hope your's turns out well! :)

Reaction score
I have never done a pumpkin carving. Every year not far for where I live there is a pumpkin carving contest. These pumpkins are serious works of art. Forget scary of Halloween teamed. People who enter this contrast push the limits of the pumpkin to a full fledged sculpture with their intricate detailed work.

Reaction score
I love pumpkin carving and mostly use small pumpkins as dinner room decoration, except for the main pumpkin, which is a hard work because it has to be carver superficially since it's used as pot for a tasty pumpkin soup that I like to have for Halloween dinner.

Should need to take a pic to let you see how great it looks!

Reaction score
loved to carve when we were kids, and then roast the seeds. I enjoy watching nieces and nephews now carve them and get all excited.

Reaction score
Thanks Christine...this is a baking forum and I waited to see if anyone roasted the seeds. It's part of the whole package, the carving..pulling out the "guts" and separating out, roasting and eating those seeds!

Reaction score
I love looking at carved pumpkins but I would not even try! I'll leave that to the experts lol

Reaction score
Fun! :) My husband has been known to make some pretty detailed carvings. I'm not a carver myself - I don't like the feeling of the pumpkin's insides! LOL
Both of my kids like to carve and my son did a pretty detailed pumpkin last year. My daughter is trying her hand at it this year and is going to do a Harry Potter
design she found online. I like how all the detailed ones look too.
Hope your's turns out well! :)

The insides of a pumpkin feel strange, yes, all slimy and gross, but I don't mind, I know that it'll look pretty in the end. Wow, Harry Potter! Now there's a cool idea! You should put up a picture of it once it is completed, I would love to see it. :) Thanks I hope it does too, and best of luck to your daughter.

Reaction score
I just carved a pumpkin with my 5 year old over the weekend. He drew the face, I cut it out. He helped me empty the pumpkin- I love the pictures I got of his grossed out face!! My older kids like to carve them themselves and I love seeing what they come up with.
My husband and I just assist... I don't care to do my one.

Reaction score
Well, my daughter didn't end up doing Harry Potter. She did Hello Kitty instead and it turned out really well!
I haven't taken a picture yet - I better do that!!! I will try to post it.
It has been really cold here - 20's during the day!!! :0 But it supposed to start warming up
again. So by Halloween it should be in the 40's to 50's during the day.
TABL - sounds fun! Good thing my kids like to do their own! Well, they are teens!!! LOL

Reaction score
We carved our pumpkins last night! Here's a pic - mine is on the left, the middle is my husband's, and my brother did the Jack Skellington one on the end :D

pumpkins.jpg

We didn't eat the seeds, but the pumpkins all smelled really nice when we put a candle inside!

Reaction score
Becky - very nice!! I will try to post a picture of my son and daughter's later after we take pictures. :)
My son got one of his all done and then part of it collapsed because it just had a tiny part holding it together!
Such a disappointment after he spent a couple of hours carving it!! :(
He fortunately has another pumpkin so he will carve it tonight and only have one to display instead of two!

Reaction score
Thanks Christine...this is a baking forum and I waited to see if anyone roasted the seeds. It's part of the whole package, the carving..pulling out the "guts" and separating out, roasting and eating those seeds!

when we were younger, it was tradition, my father would carve, we would pull out the guts, and my mother would separate and roast the seeds with just salt. Good snack! I cannot have seeds anymore, so that thrill is gone, but I have memories.....

Now I have fake pumpkins in the yard, and real pumpkins come in a can. LOL

Reaction score
Well, my daughter didn't end up doing Harry Potter. She did Hello Kitty instead and it turned out really well!
I haven't taken a picture yet - I better do that!!! I will try to post it.
It has been really cold here - 20's during the day!!! :0 But it supposed to start warming up
again. So by Halloween it should be in the 40's to 50's during the day.
TABL - sounds fun! Good thing my kids like to do their own! Well, they are teens!!! LOL

Hello Kitty? That sounds cute! I would love to see a picture of that for sure.
That sounds like wonderful Halloween weather, the weather where I am is supposed to be cold, rainy and hailing! Apparently a storm is passing over, I wonder what my brother is going to do. I remember when I was a teenager. :D

Reaction score
We carved our pumpkins last night! Here's a pic - mine is on the left, the middle is my husband's, and my brother did the Jack Skellington one on the end :D

View attachment 81

We didn't eat the seeds, but the pumpkins all smelled really nice when we put a candle inside!

Cool! That's a job well done for the 3 of you! I like the Jack Skellington, especially how he did the mouth (love that movie) and the other 2 look pretty awesome! Your husband's one looks like the one I did last year, but his has more detail. :oops: Aw, did you throw out the seeds? :(

Reaction score
DSC_0836.JPG
Here is my daughter's Hello Kitty pumpkin. Hope you can see it. I think you can enlarge it.
I thought she did a pretty good job. :)
My son is still carving his - I might be able to load a picture once he gets it done.
Happy Halloween! :)

Reaction score
Does anyone watch "The Chew" yesterday the had a pumpkin carving contest.
There were some pretty interest carvings done.
In the end a school art teacher was declared the winner.

Reaction score
View attachment 82
Here is my daughter's Hello Kitty pumpkin. Hope you can see it. I think you can enlarge it.
I thought she did a pretty good job. :)
My son is still carving his - I might be able to load a picture once he gets it done.
Happy Halloween! :)

Wow! That is so cute and a job well done to your daughter! When I was looking up designs I came across this one as well, she did a brilliant job! What did you son decide to carve? I'd love to see what he came up with. I love creative thinking and art. :) Happy Belated Halloween? :p

Reaction score
Does anyone watch "The Chew" yesterday the had a pumpkin carving contest.
There were some pretty interest carvings done.
In the end a school art teacher was declared the winner.

I watch The Chew sometimes when I have nothing to do but if I had known that there was a pumpkin carving contest then I would've sat down and watched it. I wonder if the episode will be available online; I don't think they do re-runs on television. :( What was the art teacher's creation?

I love how some people do Disney Characters. :oops:

Ask a Question