Pumpkin pie troubles

Reaction score
Hey y’all,

My pumpkin pie tastes great but I always seem to get cracks. This last one I made was with a new recipe and not only did it crack but it also weeped ‍♂️.

Here is what I’m thinking. This last one had a bake time of 50-55 minutes written in the recipe.

At 55 minutes the jiggle test proved that the entire pie was just as liquid as when it went in.

At 65 minutes I had a 1 inch rib around the perimeter that was firming up.

At 75 minutes it past the jiggle test...kinda
The middle was still total liquid.

Cooled and cracked then weeped a little in the fridge over night.

Here my question: do you think this pie may have set at the 55 minute mark even though it was still completely liquid?

J13

Reaction score
The trick here (among other things like baking the pie on the lower rack) is NOT in the time (55 minutes vs. 65). It’s in the internal temperature. You need to use a thermometer to determine if the pie is ready to leave the oven or not (I’d recommend a Therapen the expensive one is well worth the money, but the less expensive small ones work well, also).

Apparently, the perfect temperature for a non-crack pumpkin pie is 170° in the center (that F° obviously), as explained in this King Arthur Article on the topic—which also gives other tips for perfect pumpkin pie:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2017/11/21/how-to-keep-pumpkin-pie-from-cracking

And here’s a video on the topic from America’s Test Kitchen:

Another trick is to cut down on the egg whites. Here’s a recipe that discusses that:

Checking the pie’s temperature sure sounds easier and more reliable than the jiggle test—at least to me :D Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

My pumpkin pie tastes great but I always seem to get cracks. This last one I made was with a new recipe and not only did it crack but it also weeped ‍♂️.

Here is what I’m thinking. This last one had a bake time of 50-55 minutes written in the recipe.

At 55 minutes the jiggle test proved that the entire pie was just as liquid as when it went in.

At 65 minutes I had a 1 inch rib around the perimeter that was firming up.

At 75 minutes it past the jiggle test...kinda
The middle was still total liquid.

Cooled and cracked then weeped a little in the fridge over night.

Here my question: do you think this pie may have set at the 55 minute mark even though it was still completely liquid?

what’s your recipe and baking temperature? I can’t help you if I don’t know what you’re putting in the oven and at what temperature.

Reaction score
what’s your recipe and baking temperature? I can’t help you if I don’t know what you’re putting in the oven and at what temperature.

edit— Also what type of baking dish are you using? Glass, metal, ceramic? Deep dish or standard? It’s important

Ask a Question