Tips for Perfect Vegan, Gluten-Free Pup Cakes

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for vegan, gluten free dog cake (pup cakes) and I'm really struggling because the tops of the muffins keep collapsing. They rise perfectly at first but, as soon as I turn my back, they collapse. This recipe is different because it doesn't have sugar... Any advice? Thanks

Pumpkin peanut butter pup cakes

Ingredients:
(150g) flax egg substitute: 6 Tbs flax meal + 12 Tbs water (mix and let sit for 10 mins)
(246g) 1 cup peanut butter
(425g) 1 can pumpkin puree
(100g) 1/2 cup avocado oil
(414g) 1.75 cup water
(30g). 2 Tbs brown rice syrup
(7g) 3 teaspoon baking powder
(432g) 3 cups brown rice flour
(18g) 3 Tbs tapioca flour
(14.5g) 2 Tbs citric acid
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Mix all cake ingredients.
  3. Bake in greased cupcake tins at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Reaction score
Have you made these before? Are they actually a dog treat? I looked them up online and this seems to be a pet treat.

There could be a few reasons this issue is happening:

-Even though you have some flour and baking powder, there is nothing to keep the "cakieness" or height of the muffin up (like eggs) after it starts to cool.

-The temperature of the oven is too hot, therefore, like a souffle, if left too long it can collapse.

-If you are taking them out, then they collapse, then the shock of the room temperature difference could be the reason.

-Bad ingredients, or stale ingredients can cause this.

-Batter was not mixed well enough, or mixed too much.

But from what I am seeing on the recipe, there are a LOT of heavy ingredients, which require complete baking in order to come out the intended way. If something this heavy isn't baked completely all the way through, it can collapse. You might bake longer, on a lower temperature, as the higher heat is forcing them to bake too fast and the outside is getting done before the inside, and therefore deflate before the insides are baked to the correct point.

Also, this recipe contains peanut butter. Peanut butter has a lot of oil in it, which can also cause deflation in baked goods. Unless you are doing this already, you might try mixing the peanut butter, flax, and pumpkin together before you start adding the other ingredients. This might help disperse the peanut butter more evenly and possibly keep the peanut butter oils distributed through the muffin.

If these are pet treats, then there is a thread for some pet treat recipes......
https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/baking-for-pets.3309/

Reaction score
Thank you so much ChesterV! I tried again today. I used half oat flour to lighten it up a bit and then lowered the oil content and the oven temperature. Worked so much better!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question