Purple Cupcakes

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been making purple cupcakes and using a purple food coloring doesn't give them a deep purple color. I'ts almost greyish at the bottom once its cooked. how do I achieve a deep vibrant purple color for my cupcakes? I'm desperate to know how to make mt cupcakes better. Thank you everyone!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

You need to use a food colouring that is 'bake safe' otherwise it will go dull. You might also find you need to use quite a lot to get a vibrant colour!

Reaction score
Yes, purple and blue food colorings seem to "go dull" when baked.

You need to use food colors, as Becky suggests. Usually these are food production grade colorings which are pretty much all artificial chemicals. So, if you have no qualms about that, then you can get some of those.

Otherwise, if you are using standard food colorings, then I would get some dark purple paste and use a big shot of that in the batter. You might have to test it out in a few batches to get the desired color. But regardless, standard food colors will "go dull" when baked, to some extent.

If you are using flavorings, then I might suggest an extra teaspoon of flavoring, as using a lot of food coloring can make something a tad bitter.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

You need to use a food colouring that is 'bake safe' otherwise it will go dull. You might also find you need to use quite a lot to get a vibrant colour!
thank U for the response! really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Yes, purple and blue food colorings seem to "go dull" when baked.

You need to use food colors, as Becky suggests. Usually these are food production grade colorings which are pretty much all artificial chemicals. So, if you have no qualms about that, then you can get some of those.

Otherwise, if you are using standard food colorings, then I would get some dark purple paste and use a big shot of that in the batter. You might have to test it out in a few batches to get the desired color. But regardless, standard food colors will "go dull" when baked, to some extent.

If you are using flavorings, then I might suggest an extra teaspoon of flavoring, as using a lot of food coloring can make something a tad bitter.
thank u so much for your input and suggestions! will definitely try them out! i really appreciate it

Ask a Question