Tips for Perfect Apple Pie

Reaction score
I want to bake a Apple pie, I already know how to make the crust and my apple pie filling, but I heard you have to pre-bake the bottom crust before putting the filling in to prevent a soggy bottom crust, but what about the top crust? How will my top crust cook all the way without burning the pre-baked bottom crust- New baker here so I need some tips lol also any tips about making the perfect apple pie would be great too!

Reaction score
This shows the best way to pre bake. I’ve used both methods. The lower temperature and longer bake works better in my opinion. But I use rice as the pie weight instead of sugar. And I down bake quite as brown since I bake my FILLED pie at 400° with the rack on the lowest position.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/how-to-blind-bake-a-pie-crust.html

This shows show to pre bake and add the top. But I’d pre bake the way Stella Parks does it. Then attach the top
crust as shown here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/food52...st-pies-join-the-anti-soggy-crust-crusade/amp

Other pie tips:
For thickener tapioca starch is hands down the best (not tapioca pearls or instant tapioca). For an apple pie use 1/4 cup (1 oz) tapioca starch. If you bake by weight, use 2% to the weight of the apples.

For fruit that is really juicy like blueberries, use 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz) tapioca starch. If you bake by weight use 5.5% tapioca to the weight of the berries.

For a beautiful finish, brush top crust with an egg wash. Egg wash is just 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water, milk or cream.

Apple pie is notorious for developing a big gap between the crust and filling. Use a good firm apples like Granny Smith, Braeburn, or Pink Lady. Avoid Delicious apples.

To slightly pre cook the apples or not is a debate with no end among bakers. I’ll pre-cook gently from time to time. If you pre-cook be sure not to cook the apples too long, not more than five minutes.

Another method that I’ve read about but have not tried is to pour boiling water over the sliced apples cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain very well. Then add your sugar spices and thickener. I’ve not tried it so I don’t know how it works.

Reaction score
How will my top crust cook all the way without burning the pre-baked bottom crust-

The top crust cooks faster than the bottom crust, so if you don't blind bake then that's why you can end up with a soggy bottom. You don't need to worry too much about the bottom crust burning. The purpose of blind-baking is to even out the crispness of the top and bottom, taking into account that the bottom crust also has to contend with a wet filling.

Reaction score
Thank you! My first apple pie was a fail (hard almost unbitteable crust, filling sauce came out nice but the apples turned to mush) :( But I will be taking these tips for my next one :)).

Reaction score
hard almost unbitteable crust, filling sauce came out nice but the apples turned to mush

If you want your apples to keep some texture without turning to purée then use eating apples instead of cooking apples, or a mix or both if you just want some texture :)

Ask a Question