Sea Salt vs Regular Salt in Baking

Reaction score
So this is more of a question about the salt I used to make cookies tonight. I made chocolate chip cookies and about halfway through, I realized that I was out of regular salt and ended up using sea salt. It was the fine grain kind, not the rocky stuff. When the first batch was done, I noticed that the cookies tasted a little more salty than normal. I used the exact same measurement of the sea salt as I would have the regular salt so I'm not sure what the problem was. Is sea salt more "salty" than regular salt...or are my tastebuds just off today? Has anyone else used sea salt in their baking?

Reaction score
Sea salt does tend to be a bit stronger in flavor than noramal table salt. Next time reduce that amount you use when baking.

Reaction score
I have always been taught to cut it in half. Sea salt is definitely more potent than regular table salt and by cutting it in half you're less likely to notice a difference.

Reaction score
Sea salt is a lot more saltier than regular salt, so if I had to use sea salt I usually cut the amount of salt by 1/3 or 1/2. If this was the case though, I'd try to divide out the portions and put different amount of sea salt in it and bake it to see which one taste the best. Don't forget to jot down a note to yourself though on the recipe :)

Ask a Question