Stretching Store-Bought Pie Crusts for Larger Pans

Reaction score
I realized over the Christmas holiday that I only have a larger pie plate. I have no idea where my smaller ones (9", I suppose) have gotten off to, but I believe this one I have remaining is at least 9.5". My question is, what can I do with store bought crusts to stretch them out? I injured my thumb and hand, so I'm not making much from scratch right now. I thought I could hand stretch the crust out to fit the larger pan, but that didn't work. I pre-baked the crust, and it shrunk up, so I could only use about 2/3 of the filling. I baked the rest in ramekins, and of course they came out delicious, but I was wondering if I should roll out the crusts. I don't know if there's enough dough there to pull that off, but was hoping someone else had done so in the past, and could let me know.

Reaction score
Yeah, my granny used to roll out pre-made pie crusts to fit her big pie plates.

All she did was lightly flour a rolling board/dough board (you can use whatever flat surface you have), unfold or roll out the pie crust and let it sit there until it gets to room temperature.......

Then she would flour her rolling pin and then lightly roll out the crust from the center outward, going around the whole circumference....until she got to the size of crust she wanted.

Then she would slide the crust off over her pie plate and then fit it in the plate and trim off the edges.

If you have a really large pie plate, then you can put two pie crusts together and roll them out as one. That way it will be thicker than just rolling out one crust until it is paper thin.

My granny was very well versed in pie crust. I can't do them without them falling apart on me. Thats why Im partial to Graham Cracker crusts.....SO much easier for me to work with!!!! LOL

Reaction score
Yeah, my granny used to roll out pre-made pie crusts to fit her big pie plates.

All she did was lightly flour a rolling board/dough board (you can use whatever flat surface you have), unfold or roll out the pie crust and let it sit there until it gets to room temperature.......

Then she would flour her rolling pin and then lightly roll out the crust from the center outward, going around the whole circumference....until she got to the size of crust she wanted.

Then she would slide the crust off over her pie plate and then fit it in the plate and trim off the edges.

If you have a really large pie plate, then you can put two pie crusts together and roll them out as one. That way it will be thicker than just rolling out one crust until it is paper thin.

My granny was very well versed in pie crust. I can't do them without them falling apart on me. Thats why Im partial to Graham Cracker crusts.....SO much easier for me to work with!!!! LOL

Yes, graham cracker crusts are good. I also like the shortbread crusts you can buy in the store. I used to buy the chocolate crusts, and would fill them with pistachio pudding then top it off with whipped cream. Those were pretty yummy. Thanks for the tips on the regular crusts. I think I'll have to make room on the table for some sort of large board where I can roll them out, because I tend to use the pastry crusts for savory dishes, as well as desserts.

Reaction score
I like to make graham cracker crust and some of the other cookie crusts, and I prefer them to the ready to use ones. Of course, I use real butter, and that makes everything better.

I've never been very good at making pie crust though. My mother did it beautifully, but me, not so much. I have rolled out the ready made ones, and yes, doubling up will work for a larger pie plate. The key is (as noted) allowing it to reach room temperature first.

Reaction score
It's interesting I should see this now. I think the two things might be kind of related, me buying some Pillsbury crescent rolls for the first time yesterday. I am just done Googling what to make with them although I am going to make ham and cheese rolls first. Once I am through with that I am going to try a crust but my wish is to be able to make them all from scratch.

@Diane Lane, I am sorry I can't offer advice but I think @ChesterV is a good one to listen to.

Ask a Question