Baking Tips: How to Store Mixed Ingredients for Later Use

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

im new to baking and just baking recently, I want to make this cake
My question is, my oven is not that large to fit 3 9 inch fun, only 1 can fit in. After mixing all the ingredients for the cake, where do i store the remaining mixed ingredients (which is supposed to be for the 2nd and 3rd fun)? is it ok if I leave it cover under room temperature? or should i put in refrigerator?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

im new to baking and just baking recently, I want to make this cake
My question is, my oven is not that large to fit 3 9 inch fun, only 1 can fit in. After mixing all the ingredients for the cake, where do i store the remaining mixed ingredients (which is supposed to be for the 2nd and 3rd fun)? is it ok if I leave it cover under room temperature? or should i put in refrigerator?

If the cake has beaten egg whites it in, you cannot let it sit after mixing.

If the batter is mixed using the creamed butter and sugar method, it can sit on the counter at most for an hour depending on the type of leavening.

If it’s leavened with all baking powder the batter will fare better as baking powder is double acting. If it’s a combination of baking powder and baking soda, the rise will be more affected as baking soda activates once, and immediately when it come in contact with an acid and moisture. So as it sits, the activated baking soda will begin to lose its leavening powder.

The batter that is not baked right away will have a slightly different texture and rise than the batter immediately baked after mixing.

Reaction score
If the cake has beaten egg whites it in, you cannot let it sit after mixing.

If the batter is mixed using the creamed butter and sugar method, it can sit on the counter at most for an hour depending on the type of leavening.

If it’s leavened with all baking powder the batter will fare better as baking powder is double acting. If it’s a combination of baking powder and baking soda, the rise will be more affected as baking soda activates once, and immediately when it come in contact with an acid and moisture. So as it sits, the activated baking soda will begin to lose its leavening powder.

The batter that is not baked right away will have a slightly different texture and rise than the batter immediately baked after mixing.

I see, so much to learn in baking, i did not know its a little bit complicated :p
so the best option is to mix only how much fit in pan? then mix again for another batch

thanks for the very informative explanation Norcalbaker59!

Reaction score
I see, so much to learn in baking, i did not know its a little bit complicated :p
so the best option is to mix only how much fit in pan? then mix again for another batch

thanks for the very informative explanation Norcalbaker59!

Yes, mixing just enough batter for each cake would be a good way to deal with the oven size limitations. Dividing this recipe up into three is a bit problematic as this blogger uses volume rather than weight measurements. Volume is less accurate, ut it could still be done.

Personally I would not use this particular cake recipe for a couple of reasons.

She uses all purpose flour. All purpose flour will produce a tougher, denser, and heavier cake. It also contains a lot of cocoa powder. Cocoa powder is also very heavy and absorbs a lot of moisture. So between the all purpose flour and the cocoa powder, no butter and the mixing method, the cake texture will be quite heavy and dense. The photo of the cake shows a crumb that is quite dense.

Interesting since she also uses way too much chemical leavening. Baking soda is four times more powerful than baking powder. Baking soda imparts an extremely bitter taste when used in excess. So it’s very important to keep baking soda within a standard deviation.

The standard for baking soda is 1/4 teaspoon per 1 cup of flour.
The standard for baking powder is 1 teaspoon per 1 cup of flour.

She uses a whopping 1 Tablespoon of baking soda.—a tablespoon of baking soda is enough for 12 cups of flour.

In addition to the baking soda she uses 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder. The excessive amount of chemical leavening will leave a bitter aftertaste.

This recipe does not use the creaming method so a bit more leavening is called for. But the amounts used are beyond what is necessary for a recipe that does not incorporate mechanical leavening.

Ask a Question