Question on cake making

Discussion in 'Cakes' started by Akos, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Akos

Akos Well-Known Member

Hi. In cake making, how long should margarine and sugar be creamed before adding eggs?

Akos, Jun 14, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. Akos

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Hey Akos, how are? How is the cake business coming along? I hope business is growing.

I don’t work with margarine, so I can’t comment on it. But butter I can comment on.

First, Butter must be creamed cold. The purpose of creaming butter and sugar is for leavening. You need the butter to trap bubbles. The sugar crystal cuts through the butter. But if the butter is too warm, It will not be able to hold it shape.

Ad the beaters moves around the bowl it creates friction, which creates heat. So if you start with warm butter, as you beat the butter it gets even warmer. So the first thing is start with cold butter.

The second thing is looking at how the butter changes in color as you’re beating it, It will lighten in color.

The third thing is how much fuller the butter will look as you’re beating it. It will go from dense to fluffy.

With butter you want to start with a temperature about 60°F ( 15°C).

Beat it approximately two minutes.

Stop the mixer and scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl.

Continue to beat for about 2 1/2 more minutes.

This video it will explain a lot more detail about creamy butter and sugar properly. But you can see in the video and the photos how the butter changes as it’s beaten. So you start with the cold butter and you watch as it changes that’s what’s most important how COLD butter changes as you beat it.

She says five minutes I find usually about 4 to 4 1/2 minutes is about right.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/cookie-science-creaming-butter-sugar.html

Norcalbaker59, Jun 15, 2019
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Akos

Akos Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cate. I'm well by Jehovah's underserved kindness.

The cake business is gradually coming along well. I took a class in sharp edges and other decorating skills which has really built my confidence.

Butter is expensive here so most bakers use margarine, but will use butter if a recipe calls for it and should not be substituted under any circumstances.

Using COLD butter is a a new thing I've learnt from your reply because butter at room temperature has always been what we hear. Wow. It really makes sense especially using the machine. The science of baking.

I visited a baker friend and I know another baker who cream margarine and sugar for one hour that's why I asked the question.

Akos, Jun 16, 2019
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
  4. Akos

Oh Akos, there’s nothing in margarine that would require it to be creamed for one hour. Margarine is nothing more than a solid form of a vegetable oil. I don’t work with it so I don’t know if it needs to be creamed for three minutes or five minutes. But it certainly does not need to be creamed for one hour.

But the real concern is the damage you would do to your mixer motor for running it continuously for one hour for every cake. A home mixer is not designed to run for an extended period of time. You’ll burn the motor out in half the time.

Norcalbaker59, Jun 17, 2019
  5. Akos

Akos Well-Known Member

I know right. Personally I was surprised at my Ghanaian baker friend and that was why I asked that question because I don't don't that. To even talk about electricity bill too.

Thanks. This forum is helping me a lot to carve a niche for myself. Thank you

Akos, Jun 17, 2019
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
  6. Akos

Oh yes the electricity bill— I didn’t even think about that!

It’s interesting when I was a child in the 60’s margarine was very popular in the US. People avoided butter because of the high fat content. In fact when I was growing up we rarely had butter in the house. But in the 70’s there was a movement toward natural food, and margarine went out of favor. Margarine sales are now very low in the US.

I’m glad to hear that your business is coming along. You’ve been participating in this forum for a while now; you always asking a lot of good questions, so I know you are always thinking intelligently about your work. It’s good to hear of your growing confidence. I’m glad to hear you are enjoying some classes as well. Aside from learning it’s always nice to meet other baker:D

Norcalbaker59, Jun 18, 2019
  7. Akos

Akos Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments

Akos, Jun 23, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question