Questions on Using a Professional Dough Sheeter

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can offer me some assistance with using a professional dough sheeter. I am a professional artisan baker here in north east uk and have never had any experiance working with pastry break. I have a technostamp table top machine. Now I have read in various books that if your sheeting dough the butter block and the dough needs to be rolled at 5mm therefore when the layers are laminated they are all the same consistencey, also when sheeting the dough you would therefore go down in 5mm incriments is this relevant to all doughs or just croissant or danish etc.

Also i need help on how to store large quantities of dough and have just bought a large freezer which is capable of storing bakery size metal trays 18x30 so do I make my croissants up into shapes and pre proof? or make multiple doughs and miss out the final fold and reintroduce once that dough has thawed. or my assistant reccomended going as far as cutting my triangles and then freezing them as this would thaw the quickest. please anyone has any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ash the baker

Reaction score
I would recommend you go to Blackwells booksellers and purchase a textbook by Michel Suas titled Advanced Bread and Pastry.

What you have read is incorrect (i.e., 5mm is wrong). Your assistant’s recommendation of freezing cut dough would produce an product so poor in quality you would lose any reputation you have as a bakery of quality. You need to freeze dough in bulk, but there is a specific way to produce dough for bulk storage (e.g., lower DDT and not complete the full lamination).

This textbook is used by a number of culinary schools; Suas also runs one of the top baking institutes in the US. Students from all corners of the world to San Francisco to study at his institute. This book will definitely help you.

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can offer me some assistance with using a professional dough sheeter. I am a professional artisan baker here in north east uk and have never had any experiance working with pastry break. I have a technostamp table top machine. Now I have read in various books that if your sheeting dough the butter block and the dough needs to be rolled at 5mm therefore when the layers are laminated they are all the same consistencey, also when sheeting the dough you would therefore go down in 5mm incriments is this relevant to all doughs or just croissant or danish etc.

Also i need help on how to store large quantities of dough and have just bought a large freezer which is capable of storing bakery size metal trays 18x30 so do I make my croissants up into shapes and pre proof? or make multiple doughs and miss out the final fold and reintroduce once that dough has thawed. or my assistant reccomended going as far as cutting my triangles and then freezing them as this would thaw the quickest. please anyone has any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ash the baker
Take what the dough will give you .
I typically went through the rollers 4 times, forget measuring, you roll it to where the result of folding gives you the correct size, just eyeball it.

Its a feel thing, feel the dough, now the butter, do they feel similar temp and texture?

I wouldn't do any of the process you are considering, freezing it ruins it.
I worked in a place that froze them raw, I thought it was a waste of ingredients, they guaranteed mediocre results by freezing.
Avoid it if you can, if not then perhaps seek out a specialty yeast designed for freezing.
Theres all sorts of specialty yeast these days.

Ask a Question