Quick bread tip

Reaction score
When making quick bread, instead of buttering then flouring the pan, I butter then sugar the pan. It produces a very nice crust. Next time you make a quick bread, give it a try. I think you'll like it better than the left over flour sticking to the loaf.

Reaction score
I never heard of that but it sounds interesting. I will definately give it a try . Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
When someone first gave me that tip I thought it would make it stick to the pan, but it doesn't It leaves a nice kind of crispy sweet crust.

Reaction score
That's an interesting tip. I'd try it for certain breads, but not all. Perhaps a honey/beer bread or an onion loaf. Mmmm.

I've also heard of people using oats or other grains to line their pan.

Reaction score
I think anything would be preferable to flour sticking to the outside of the loaf. So far I've only used sugar, and have done it with every quick bread loaf I've made that wasn't a savory loaf. Pumpkin, banana, cranberry, blueberry, nut breads, zucchini. I tried it once on onion since the onions were caramelized but I didn't care for it as much. Cheese bread I definitely didn't like it.

Seeds or grains sounds like a great idea, kicking myself for never thinking of that in all the time I've used sugar! I think I'm going to try a mixture of poppy seeds, chia seeds,& amaranth on my next onion loaf. I love the crunch of those seeds. Thanks for that tip!

Reaction score
When making quick bread, instead of buttering then flouring the pan, I butter then sugar the pan. It produces a very nice crust. Next time you make a quick bread, give it a try. I think you'll like it better than the left over flour sticking to the loaf.

Just curious, but is this suitable if I'm making a bread that is generally a bit more savory?

Reaction score
I think so. I use it when I make zucchini bread. I didn't care for it when I used it on a cheddar loaf, so it depends on just what you are making. Even with the cheddar loaf it was still more than edible, just not my favorite combo.

I didn't like it so much on the onion bread either but it was a caramelized onion bread and I felt it took away from the sweetness of the onion. Again, quite edible, just not my favorite.

Ask a Question