Quick fix for cakes that didn't rise to their potential

Reaction score
Most people make a cake at least once that doesn't rise well. Usually, for me, the layers won't be flat, but they also aren't high and fluffy.

As a quick fix, I'll either make another layer or use heavy whipped cream and fruit in between each one. This way, my mistake looks like something I did on purpose.

Example . . .

Cale Layers.png

What's your solution to this problem?

Reaction score
I would probably make cake pops or trifle to hide my mistake but your solution looks really elegant. It looks intentional and you can't tell that anything went wrong.

Reaction score
That does look like you made the cakes look like that on purpose. I would probably cut up the cake pieces and use them for an ice cream sundae if I could not live with the mistake. Your solution looks really good though!

Reaction score
Yup, just call it more of a pound cake and plump it with filling!

It seems to me that "naked cakes" like the one in your photo are coming back into fashion. If you, er umm, "clothe"(?) the cake, though, then it really wouldn't look flat and most people do so enjoy a good filling and icing!

Reaction score
Cake pops would be a good option. They may take a little bit more work than a cake but they look pretty cute!

Reaction score
Oh, that's a pretty good idea! I would imagine that without the filling of fruits and cream, the density of the cake would be less pleasant.

Reaction score
You could always make them in to petit fours by cutting them in to small shapes and layering them with some jam or lemon curd. Then cover with pourable fondant.

Ask a Question