Quick Test to Check the Frehness of Eggs

Reaction score
To check freshness of eggs, put in a bowl of water–if they sink, they’re fresh. If they float and stand on one end, they’re not.

Reaction score
That is a great idea, if there is any doubt whether the egg is fresh or might be bad. There is not many things that smell as awful as an egg that has gone ad, and you just cracked it into your frying pan for breakfast .
I have only had that happen a couple times, but , believe me, I covered my nose, held my breath, and ran out of the house with the frying pan ! Much later, I went out and sprayed it out good with the hose sprayer , and then brought it back into the house and washed the skillet.

Reaction score
I agree. There really isn't much that compares to the smell of a rotten egg. I always tell everyone to use this technique to check eggs, especially once the expiration date on the carton's past! Alas, they never listen to me and we often end up with a house that smells like someone just exploded a really bad stink bomb in it.

Reaction score
Wow. I never heard about this quick check. Thanks for letting me know! I usually just follow the expiration date on the carton, but now I want to try the float test!

Reaction score
Good tip :) . Another way to check whether the egg is fresh or not is to crack an egg into a pan and if the yolk runs then I know it is an old egg.

Reaction score
Wow, I did not know this. I'll be sure to use this the next time I am doubtful about an egg! It's always a terrifying experience to hope that the egg isn't bad!

Reaction score
This is a great tip. I've heard of this before but never tested it out! I will definitely be trying this next time I bake, even if I've just bought fresh eggs. I want to see what it's like! :D

Ask a Question