Quick Test to Check the Frehness of Eggs

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by jennywren, Jun 14, 2013.

1. jennywren

jennywren Well-Known Member

To check freshness of eggs, put in a bowl of water–if they sink, they’re fresh. If they float and stand on one end, they’re not.

jennywren, Jun 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. jennywren

Happyflowerlady Well-Known Member

That is a great idea, if there is any doubt whether the egg is fresh or might be bad. There is not many things that smell as awful as an egg that has gone ad, and you just cracked it into your frying pan for breakfast .
    I have only had that happen a couple times, but , believe me, I covered my nose, held my breath, and ran out of the house with the frying pan ! Much later, I went out and sprayed it out good with the hose sprayer , and then brought it back into the house and washed the skillet.

Happyflowerlady, Jun 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. jennywren

polaroidsredwine Active Member

I agree. There really isn't much that compares to the smell of a rotten egg. I always tell everyone to use this technique to check eggs, especially once the expiration date on the carton's past! Alas, they never listen to me and we often end up with a house that smells like someone just exploded a really bad stink bomb in it.

polaroidsredwine, Jun 14, 2013
    Happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. jennywren

lianymode Active Member

Wow. I never heard about this quick check. Thanks for letting me know! I usually just follow the expiration date on the carton, but now I want to try the float test!

lianymode, Jun 15, 2013
  5. jennywren

jeanne90 Active Member

Good tip :) . Another way to check whether the egg is fresh or not is to crack an egg into a pan and if the yolk runs then I know it is an old egg.

jeanne90, Jun 18, 2013
  6. jennywren

jesslane94 Well-Known Member

Wow, I did not know this. I'll be sure to use this the next time I am doubtful about an egg! It's always a terrifying experience to hope that the egg isn't bad!

jesslane94, Jun 23, 2013
  7. jennywren

Mylexia91 Member

This is a great tip. I've heard of this before but never tested it out! I will definitely be trying this next time I bake, even if I've just bought fresh eggs. I want to see what it's like! :D

Mylexia91, Jun 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question