R2D2 Cake

Reaction score
My nephew Troy is turning seven next month. I’m getting a plan around for his cake. I thought he’d want dinosaurs again this year but he is adamant about a Star Wars cake. My sisters fiancé loves Star Wars and my nephew pretty much picked up on that and now he too loves it. His favorite character is R2D2 so I decided to do an R2D2 pull apart cupcake cake. I figured it would be so much easier to do it that way since he’s having his party at Pizza Hut. I found a design I like on Pinterest so hopefully I can pull off an awesome cake for my nephew.

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the pics! I'm sure he'll love it! If you can find some of R2's sound effects to put on your phone for the big reveal - along with the original Star Wars overture - that would be cool and add to the fun drama!

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the pics! I'm sure he'll love it! If you can find some of R2's sound effects to put on your phone for the big reveal - along with the original Star Wars overture - that would be cool and add to the fun drama!

I love that idea! I will look for a ringtone or something or I’ll ask my sisters fiancé if he has anything with R2D2 sound effects. He would love that!
I’ll post pictures after the cake is done.

Reaction score
My nephew Troy is turning seven next month. I’m getting a plan around for his cake. I thought he’d want dinosaurs again this year but he is adamant about a Star Wars cake. My sisters fiancé loves Star Wars and my nephew pretty much picked up on that and now he too loves it. His favorite character is R2D2 so I decided to do an R2D2 pull apart cupcake cake. I figured it would be so much easier to do it that way since he’s having his party at Pizza Hut. I found a design I like on Pinterest so hopefully I can pull off an awesome cake for my nephew.

Stars War is a registered trademark and copyright owned by Disney. Disney Is one company that does not take copyright infringement lightly. They periodically have their attorneys comb through the Internet for copyright violators. They look at cake and baking blogs and forums for photos of product that depict copyrighted material and characters. Disney will actually send cease and desist letters to people who make cakes using any of their characters.

In 2015 Disney, Luscas Films, and Sanrio (My Little Kitty) teamed up to sue George Wilson, a guy who made and sold cake transfers online on eBay. They filed a lawsuit after the man ignored their ceased and desist letter. Disney does not turn a blind eye to even the smallest of copyright violators.

The three mega-corporations even demanded the court allow for the seizure of “any molds, screens, patterns, plates, negatives, machinery or equipment used for making or manufacturing the counterfeit cakes.” The studios were intent not just in stopping the reproduction of their copyrighted material, but they were intent on putting this guy out of business completely.

Aside from the issue of counterfeit production and sale of unlicensed copyrighted and trademarked material, the lawsuit specifically called out the issue that consumers could wrongly assume the studios endorsed and/or sponsored the work. And that’s where reproduction of copyrighted material that is not reproduced for sald can get the hobby baker in trouble. It’s one thing to reproduce this copyrighted material, take photos and keep them in your family photo album; and it’s another thing to post pics of character reproductions on the Internet.

Reaction score
WOW that sounds awfully strict of Disney - I presume anyone can make a consume a cake, but it's the sharing of the image or profiting from it that's illegal?

Reaction score
WOW that sounds awfully strict of Disney - I presume anyone can make a consume a cake, but it's the sharing of the image or profiting from it that's illegal?

There is a body of law that is referred to as “fair use.” Most people misunderstand these rules; they believe as long as they give credit to the author/designer/creator then they’re not in violation of patent law. But that’s not the case. There’s only a couple of conditions in which fair use is valid. Movie characters usually fall under trademark. There’s only a couple instances in which an individual can use a trademark without permission. When you reproduce trademark protected work and put it out there as your own work you are violating trademark law.

On the face of it it does seem quite harsh. But it’s driven in part by the cost to companies to secure their rights to their intellectual property, designs, inventions, original works, etc.

I used to work for one of the largest law firm’s in Washington DC, in the patent law department. Large companies spend millions of dollars to obtain patents, trademark, copyright. For companies that do international business they not only have to protect their rights within the United States, but in every country they do business. There’s networks of attorneys in every country to complete the necessary research and paperwork to obtain those international rights.

Once a patent, trademark, or copyright is granted, registration has to be renewed, sometimes annually. I could spend several weeks on a single renewal.

Companies make their money through licensing agreements. Counterfeiting doesn’t just take away from their profit, but it also encourages counterfeiting. Disney knows the little cottage food operator is not going to cause them to go broke. But if they turn a blind eye to the small business or to hobbyist taking advantage of their intellectual property, then it emboldens more companies and larger companies to do the same.

For the companies who pay for license agreements, which are not cheap, it dilutes the value of those agreement. So when Disney, Lucas films, and Sanrio joined forces, it was also meant to send a message to their license holders that they have their backs.

I won’t make a cake with any trademark characters. I’ll buy toppers or character figurines to put them on the cake. That way it’s all legal, plus the child gets to keep the toy after eating the cake.

Reaction score
Stars War is a registered trademark and copyright owned by Disney. Disney Is one company that does not take copyright infringement lightly. They periodically have their attorneys comb through the Internet for copyright violators. They look at cake and baking blogs and forums for photos of product that depict copyrighted material and characters. Disney will actually send cease and desist letters to people who make cakes using any of their characters.

In 2015 Disney, Luscas Films, and Sanrio (My Little Kitty) teamed up to sue George Wilson, a guy who made and sold cake transfers online on eBay. They filed a lawsuit after the man ignored their ceased and desist letter. Disney does not turn a blind eye to even the smallest of copyright violators.

The three mega-corporations even demanded the court allow for the seizure of “any molds, screens, patterns, plates, negatives, machinery or equipment used for making or manufacturing the counterfeit cakes.” The studios were intent not just in stopping the reproduction of their copyrighted material, but they were intent on putting this guy out of business completely.

Aside from the issue of counterfeit production and sale of unlicensed copyrighted and trademarked material, the lawsuit specifically called out the issue that consumers could wrongly assume the studios endorsed and/or sponsored the work. And that’s where reproduction of copyrighted material that is not reproduced for sald can get the hobby baker in trouble. It’s one thing to reproduce this copyrighted material, take photos and keep them in your family photo album; and it’s another thing to post pics of character reproductions on the Internet.

Wow! Thank you for telling me. I don’t need any of those issues. I’ll still make the cake but I won’t post it online. The last thing I need is a lawsuit or even the threat of one.
Again thank you so much!

Reaction score
This last weekend we celebrated my nephew Troy’s 7th birthday. I wanted to do a Star Wars theme without making it just R2D2. After some brainstorming I came up with a plan for the cake and he loved it. Everyone did.
The R2D2 is actually a Christmas ornament. I looked for an R2D2 toy and they didn’t have any. At all. It was frustrating but then I came across a display of ornaments and there was R2D2. I really do like how it turned out.

Attachments

• 9FABE709-2C2A-4833-B231-CFCEDE0F18C5.jpeg
    9FABE709-2C2A-4833-B231-CFCEDE0F18C5.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 430
Reaction score
I did half chocolate and half white cupcakes with vanilla buttercream. I couldn’t really experiment with the flavors as my nephew is pretty picky about food. And with so many people at the party I figured they’d be a safe choice. The white cake was really good but the chocolate wasn’t my best in my opinion but everyone liked it.

Ask a Question