Rainbow Battenburg cake!

Reaction score
I had to share this here - went out for lunch recently and had this amazing piece of cake!!

rainbow battenburg.JPG

How incredible is that?! :D

There had clearly been a lot of food colouring used, but as a one-off I didn't mind too much. It was delicious, I think they made their own marzipan too.

I'd love to have a go at something like this but I wouldn't know where to start!

And yes those are little sand timers you can see in the background - it's so you can time how long your tea is brewing for, and they give you an empty teapot to pour it into when brewed so that it doesn't go too strong :D

Reaction score
Yes, it's likely made of food coloring probably using a layering technique similar to that of rainbow jellies, but probably using marmalade to stick each layer together.

Not sure it they really did such thing, but is the only idea coming to my mind to get this awesome and tasty-looking cake done.

Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to where I can find a recipe for this, it looks rather interesting and I would like to try it sometime. Also if you bakers can give me any tips and tricks to make it a great rainbow cake, I would appreciate it very much.:)

Reaction score
That is really beautiful! I would love to be able to make something like that! I wonder how time consuming it would be to make this?

Reaction score
That is so pretty and the layer of marzipan around it looks delicious. That restaurant sounds adorable. It's cute that they give you a timer for your tea.

Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to where I can find a recipe for this, it looks rather interesting and I would like to try it sometime. Also if you bakers can give me any tips and tricks to make it a great rainbow cake, I would appreciate it very much.:)

This is a good recipe for a regular Battenberg cake: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1120657/battenberg-cake

I think the rainbow version I had was made with regular sponge instead of almond sponge, and obviously there are more layers involved which could be tricky in terms of logistics. I like that they used a lot of jam to hold it all together - it was really tasty and moist! If you give it a try we'd love to hear how you get on :)

Reaction score
View attachment 135 I love the rainbow layers! I have done this to cakes before but as more of a freestyle tye-dye swirl than layers. It was fun to make and not that difficult. I separated the batter into different bowls and added food coloring to make the desired colors. People was the mostI wish the frosting/marzipan was something more fun than plain white.

Ask a Question