Raised Pie Problems

Reaction score
I have just made Paul Hollywood's Christmas Pie which is a cold 'Leftovers' savoury hand raised pie with a hot water crust. It was delicious and the family devoured it. BUT although it looked good the crust crumbled as soon as I started cutting and I couldn't get any nice slices. What went wrong? I followed the recipe closely and used the recommended 150gms strong bread floor and 450gms plain flour with 175gms lard....help.

Reaction score
no idea as to what happened,but I would like to see the recipe and what does hand raised mean ?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Paul Hollywood's recipes are usually pretty reliable, how thick did you have the pastry? Also, was it cold or warm when you cut it? A chilled pie will be far easier and neater to cut.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Paul Hollywood's recipes are usually pretty reliable, how thick did you have the pastry? Also, was it cold or warm when you cut it? A chilled pie will be far easier and neater to cut.
My pastry was a tad thicker than his and I let it go cold before I sliced it

Reaction score
The offending article....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 523
Reaction score
My pastry was a tad thicker than his and I let it go cold before I sliced it

Hmmm, well you've got me stumped! Was the filling packed tightly? You could maybe try increasing the proportion of strong flour, but I wouldn't know what else to suggest I'm afraid!

By the way, it looks lovely in your photo! :)

Reaction score
this is just a wild guess and I am probably wrong,but check the protein content of your flour,isn't it better for baking the higher the content ? or maybe you need a lower percentage,like I said I'm just guessing

and thanks for the link Becky,I will definitely give this one a try Gentlemen Jim and it looks great in your picture,the main question is how good did it taste ?

Reaction score
Usually, for me, when crust crumbles like that, it is because it was --

1. Over baked
2. Over worked
3. Too thin
4. Too thick
5. Not enough ingredients for binding
6. Old flour/stale flour
7. Wrong kind of lard/butter
8. Was baked too fast at a hot temp

Reaction score
Usually, for me, when crust crumbles like that, it is because it was --

1. Over baked
2. Over worked
3. Too thin
4. Too thick
5. Not enough ingredients for binding
6. Old flour/stale flour
7. Wrong kind of lard/butter
8. Was baked too fast at a hot temp

Thanks for these suggestions Ithink 1 or 5 are just possible but I think the others were all ok.

Reaction score
this is just a wild guess and I am probably wrong,but check the protein content of your flour,isn't it better for baking the higher the content ? or maybe you need a lower percentage,like I said I'm just guessing

and thanks for the link Becky,I will definitely give this one a try Gentlemen Jim and it looks great in your picture,the main question is how good did it taste ?

Reaction score
Hi Justme, well far be it from me to boast but....it was fantastic! I added some of the original turkey stock, which had jellified, to the original recipe. It was devoured by the family in no time flat with none left over!

Reaction score
that sounds like it was pretty good then Gentleman Jim,I will have to give this a recipe a try,I have no idea what a chipolata sausage is ,I will try those little BBQ ones,I know they work great with cranberry sauce in a crock pot ,mmmmmm I haven't made those in for ever ,we called them monkey peckers :)

for those that want to know,all it is is a can of cranberry sauce with and the snack sized sausages ( I can't think of the name for them) and cook them in a crock pot,great snacks for a ball game or what ever

is there a link with US measurements available ? supposedly with my new measuring utensils coming,I will be able to convert stuff easily,supposedly :)

Ask a Question