Rasberry chocolate chunk blondies

Reaction score
I finished baking my blondies, finished cleaning up and once it cools Im putting rasberry jam over it. Once its cooled and covered with melted jam I'll add a picture of the finished product.

Attachments

• WIN_20180728_16_36_26_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180728_16_36_26_Pro.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 406
Reaction score
I finished baking my blondies, finished cleaning up and once it cools Im putting rasberry jam over it. Once its cooled and covered with melted jam I'll add a picture of the finished product.

The blondes look delicious Rebecca. It looks like you swirled some raspberry in the batter. Did you use chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar? Raspberry and chocolate is such a great combination.

Reaction score
Thanks. I folded in frozen rasberries and then mixed it. I used one 70 percent cacao chocolate bar broken up into chunks. It was very dough like, not a batter. It turned out to be cake like and a little bit dry, but closer to the center more moist. Tastes good though.

Reaction score
@Rebecca Elizabeth, 70% dark chocolate chunks! High five! You must be from a foodie family cuz most people your age don’t know chocolate beyond Hershey bars.

Sorry to hear the blondies were a bit dry. If you want some help troubleshooting the recipe to get better results let me know and I’ll be happy to analyze the recipe you used.

Reaction score
I ended up having to make extra dough after finishing what the recipe calls for. I heard that dark chocolate is good for the heart which lead me to learn about cacao percentages.

Here's the recipe, I altered it a bit (It asked for melted margarine, I used unsalted butter instead and creamed the butter...I mean, whisked it and used the electronic mixer).

Recipe:

vegetable oil spray
2 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup frozen lightly sweetened rasberries
chocolate chunks (this one wasnt in the recipe, I added it)
1 10 ounce jar rasberry jam, melted

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 13 by 9 by 2 inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray
In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt
In a seperate bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs, then add vanilla and butter
Using a spoon, stir flour mixture into sugar mixture
Carefully fold in rasberries (mixture will be stiff)
Pour mixture into baking pan
bake for 25 to 30 minutes
Let cool for about 15 minutes
Melt jam and pour over the bars.

Reaction score
@Rebecca Elizabeth

Ok I see a couple of things that contribute to a cakey texture and dry blondie.

There’s a lot of egg in the recipe, plus leavening so that will make a cake like texture. Blondies and brownies don’t really need leavening since a dense chewy texture is more desired than a cake texture.

There’s very little butter to flour, which means a dry blondie.

The use of brown sugar instead of granulated sugar or a combination of brown and granulated sugar will create a moister blondie as well.

Melting the butter then beating the sugar in will give you a better texture as well.

Bake time is always an issue with brownies and blondies; it’s best to bake then a bit underdone as they go from moist to dry in a heartbeat. The edges should be set firm, but the center a bit soft. A toothpick inserted should have a few crumbs. If the toothpick comes out clean, it’s overbaked.

Taking the basic recipe here I would suggest these revisions. I also added a few flavor ideas for a standard blondie. You can add your raspberries in, it shouldn’t be a problem.

BLONDIE REVISION

350°F preheat at least 20 min

9” x 13” pan lined with foil, see below

Ingredients

2 cup (250g) all purpose flour, spoon and level

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 3/4 sticks (197g) unsalted butter

2 cups (400g) dark brown sugar or combination of brown and granulated sugar.

2 large (150g) eggs, whisked

Flavor options

Vanilla extract
  • 3 teaspoons
OR

Blend of almond and vanilla extracts
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond
  • 2 1/4 teaspoon vanilla

4 oz - 6 oz of Add-ins

Chopped dark chocolate
Chopped white chocolate
Chopped Heath Bar
Lightly toasted pecans, almonds, macadamia nuts, or walnuts

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F for at least 20 minutes before baking.

Flip baking pan over. Press sheet of foil over back and sides of pan, leaving several inches of excess foil. Gently lift off formed foil. Flip pan over and insert the formed foil into the baking pan. Leave excess foil around edges.

To measure flour: stir flour with fork. Spoon flour into a dry ingredient measuring cup until flour is at least 1” above rim. With a table knife level off to make flour even with the rim.

Whisk flour and salt, set aside.

In saucepan melt butter over medium high heat, continue to heat until butter is a few seconds more, but do not boil, just make it a bit hot. Remove from heat.

Add dark brown sugar to butter and whisk vigorously for at least 1 minutes. This helps dissolves sugar and cools it before adding the eggs.

Whisk eggs into butter and sugar until eggs are fully emulsified. You shouldn’t see any distinction between eggs and butter mixture.

Whisk in any extracts.

Gently fold in flour and salt and mix just until just barely combined. If there’s a trace of flour that’s ok, cuz you don’t want to overmix.

Stir in any add-ins

Bake until edges are set, but center slightly soft. Toothpick should have a few crumbs.

Cool completely in pan. Then use foil to lift out before slicing.

Reaction score
BTW. There should be enough batter for a 9 x 13 pan.

But if you are worried it’s not enough, increase the recipe by 25%. Blondies and brownies are not very thick because they are very rich.

Ask a Question