Raspberry and custard cake

Reaction score
I have used this recipe to make a Rhubarb and Custard cake in the past (which is delicious!) but given that rhubarb isn't available at the moment I swapped it for fresh raspberries. Here's the recipe I used:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10500/rhubarb-and-custard-cake

I think I used roughly 250g of fresh raspberries (uncooked).

It worked really well! The raspberries are a little tart, so it was a good substitution for rhubarb. Here's a couple of photos - one just as it went in the oven, and another once I had decorated it with custard buttercream icing (150g butter, 250g icing sugar, 8 tsp custard powder, 2-3 tsp boiling water).

raspberry custard cake 1.jpg

raspberry custard cake 2.jpg

Sorry about the contrast in the bottom photo - stupid camera phone!!

Reaction score
looks great,I've been wanting to make a strawberry and rhubarb pie for a long time now and haven't

Reaction score
Strawberry and rhubarb pie sounds lovely! I guess the sweetness of the strawberries balance out the sharpness of the rhubarb? Not long to wait before rhubarb season :)

Reaction score
when is rhubarb season ? lol I have no idea and I haven't had a rhubarb pie since I was a kid.oh it should be soon,like when the strawberries come in ?

I need to get my friend to make some freezer jam for me,but i lack a lot of freezer space :)

Reaction score
I've never had rhubarb. I've heard it tastes funky. Plus, I've never known anyone who makes it and I've never seen it on the menu at restaurants.....so I've never been able to try it.

I do like raspberries though.

In watching the Great British Bake Off, I have noticed raspberries are a favorite to use in pastries, cakes, and puddings in Britain.

My favorite is blackberries though. Mmmmm, love them suckers!!!
Blackberries, apricots, peaches, nectarines, bananas, and strawberries are my most favs.
I also love lime. I prefer lime over lemon any day of the week.

Reaction score
Oh my, look at the top of that cake! Well done with everything, including the decoration, so pretty :D By the way, what does rhubarb tastes like? I have never tried it.

Reaction score
Those pics look great! I've never heard of custard powder, so obviously I need to do some research. I love the look of the finished product, raspberries and custard sound delicious together.

Reaction score
Thanks for the lovely comments folks! :)

when is rhubarb season ?

In the UK it's available all through the summer - usually first appears in the shops in April.

I've never had rhubarb. I've heard it tastes funky.

Ah rhubarb is lovely, I hope you get to try it sometime! You have to cook it first, generally with sugar because it's quite tart, but then it's tangy and delicious. When it's overcooked though it completely disintegrates into a stringy mess!

In the UK we have what is known as the 'rhubarb triangle' which is an area where it grows particularly well. 95% of the world's rhubarb are produced there :)

By the way, what does rhubarb tastes like? I have never tried it.

It has quite a distinct flavour... I suppose it could be most likened to tart apples, but with a red berry flavour too. It's very hard to describe!

Reaction score
to be honest Chester I haven't had a rhubarb,strawberry pie in so many years that i actually don't remember the taste,but I know I liked it really well and I do plan on making one , one of these days

Ask a Question