Raw Pumpkin in Pie

Discussion in 'Desserts' started by cookiesonawednesday, Oct 8, 2019.

1. cookiesonawednesday

cookiesonawednesday New Member

Hi everyone!! I'm brand new here and I'm really excited to engage and learn with/from you all!

So, I've been making my own pumpkin puree for pies for about 5 years. Always to great reviews; even my husband who hates pumpkin pies likes it even though he still prefers my butterscotch.

However!

This weekend I made a cake for a client/friend that used raw pumpkin in the cake, not puree. I gotta say I was so impressed with the amount of pumpkin flavor that came through that I'd love to try it in a pie! The raw, grated pumpkin was processed with the butter to essentially make a pumpkin butter for the cake and it replaced any other liquid (besides the eggs) because of the high water content.

I cannot find anywhere online about anyone using raw pumpkin instead of cooked in a pie and I have no idea where to begin converting a recipe because of the liquid/water content of the pumpkin and am hoping to get some great tips and advice from people with more experience than me on this!

Thanks bunches!

cookiesonawednesday, Oct 8, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. cookiesonawednesday

retired baker Well-Known Member

You're wanting to make a pie, the example cited was a cake so I'd definately use milk or cream in the pie.
    I'd just open a can, you can't beat success.

retired baker, Jan 15, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question