Real-time for Bain-marie (Crème brûlée, Cheesecake and other custards) recipes?

Reaction score
I have a question for Crème brûlée and other deserts that requires Bain-marie. Must recipes call for 325 degree Fahrenheit for 40-45 mins sometimes even less... NEVER NEVER NEVER a creme brulee is ready in that amount of time, more like 1.5 to 2 hours and that's rising the temp to 350 or 375 degrees. I have done crème brûlée, cheesecake and others from different ovens (so it's not about the oven's potency) and NEVER a desert it's fully cooked in 40-45 mins (toothpick coming out clean).

So... what is the actual temperature or the actual baking time for recipes that call for Bain-marie?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

I have to confess it has been a very long time since I baked crème brûlée, but they took around 40 minutes. You want them wobbly in the centre, and I put them in the fridge afterwards to set before doing the sugar on top. I have never used a tooth pick to test them though (or baked cheesecakes) I would do the 'wobble test' instead.

This is the recipe I used for my last lot of crème brûlées: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mascarpone_and_ginger_88784

Reaction score
Thank you Becky but that doesn't answer the question...

It seems that I have had a different experience to you - mine were done in 40 minutes, and I have never had to leave them for 2 hours. What are yours like after 40-45 minutes? Like I said in the post above, a toothpick test is not a good way to test whether these type of desserts are cooked, so it may be that you are overcooking them.

Ask a Question