Recipe for 10" sponge cake

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with a recipe for a chocolate sponge that fits a 10" cake tin please, all the recipes i have found are for smaller tins

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

Instead of looking for recipes designed for 10 inch cake tins, you can simply scale up the ingredients. The volume of a cylinder is Pi multiplied by the radius of the circle (ie half the cake tin size) squared, multiplied by the height. Assuming that you want the same height (ie how high the cake is) then it's possible to work out the difference.

For example, to scale up a recipe designed for an 8 inch cake tin for a 10 inch cake tin, you will need 1.56 times the amount of ingredients. So just multiply the ingredients by 1.56 and you have your quantities.

Baking time is a little more tricky... Even if you are using 1.5 times the amount of ingredients you will probably not need to multiply the baking time by 1.5 times. If you are scaling up from a recipe designed for an 8 inch tin, I'd probably increase the baking time by 15%.

Hope this helps! If you need further calculations doing then let me know, I love maths :D

Reaction score
I very rarely change my recipes based on different tin sizes. I just keep an eye on what the top of the cake looks like.

I've found that recipes will work out fine for me if the tin is within a few inches of the suggested size.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

Instead of looking for recipes designed for 10 inch cake tins, you can simply scale up the ingredients. The volume of a cylinder is Pi multiplied by the radius of the circle (ie half the cake tin size) squared, multiplied by the height. Assuming that you want the same height (ie how high the cake is) then it's possible to work out the difference.

For example, to scale up a recipe designed for an 8 inch cake tin for a 10 inch cake tin, you will need 1.56 times the amount of ingredients. So just multiply the ingredients by 1.56 and you have your quantities.

Baking time is a little more tricky... Even if you are using 1.5 times the amount of ingredients you will probably not need to multiply the baking time by 1.5 times. If you are scaling up from a recipe designed for an 8 inch tin, I'd probably increase the baking time by 15%.

Hope this helps! If you need further calculations doing then let me know, I love maths :D

High 5 times 2!

Ask a Question