Recipes for Children

Reaction score
What's your child's favorite baked good? I'm looking to make some treats for my daughter's birthday party a few weeks down the road, and would like to have some ideas for baked goodies that different children might like. If you have any recipes you can post below I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Reaction score
I don't have kids, but I like to bake with my niece who is 6. She really enjoyed it when we made ginger bread men! The dough is very forgiving, so even if it gets manipulated over and over it doesn't toughen up as much as other doughs. Plus they are good fun to decorate!

Reaction score
For a children's birthday party cupcakes with assorted colorful frosting and toppings and brownies are my best choice and kids will really love and enjoy eating this kind of baking goodies.

Reaction score
At a friend's daughters birthday party recently, they had set up a cookie bar for the kids to have fun with! It was all different cut out shapes of sugar cookies (already baked and ready to go!) but then there were a variety of ways the kids could decorate theirs! Different squeezy icings in all different colors, sprinkles, small edible decorations - they loved it!

Reaction score
Around this time of year, I think if you make a basic ginger bread house......you can let the kids decorate it.
It's lots of fun. The GBH can be used as decoration or a centerpiece if you want. And when the time is right, everybody can break off a piece and eat it!!!

Reaction score
Nice thing about baking for a children's party is that Kids are easy to please. I think quantity, variety and size are key to pleasing just about any child's friends. Perhaps you could make 2 or 3 variety of small cookies (I cheat sometimes and use a mix) and have brownies and cupcakes in the tiny muffin tins. You can even find the fancy liners for them now. It's just a matter of reducing the cooking time for the smaller tins.

Reaction score
Around this time of year, I think if you make a basic ginger bread house......you can let the kids decorate it.
It's lots of fun. The GBH can be used as decoration or a centerpiece if you want. And when the time is right, everybody can break off a piece and eat it!!!

How fun is this? I always wanted to make these when my kids were little. I'll have to set my sights on my grandkids, I guess (when they get a little bigger).

I have seen some really beautiful, even extravagant gingerbread houses. I'll settle for a cute, simple one though. It just seems like so much fun to make.

Reaction score
How fun is this? I always wanted to make these when my kids were little. I'll have to set my sights on my grandkids, I guess (when they get a little bigger).

I have seen some really beautiful, even extravagant gingerbread houses. I'll settle for a cute, simple one though. It just seems like so much fun to make.

It is fun, because the different ways you can decorate it are endless!!! You can use candy, cookies, sprinkles, fondant, edible images, ice cream cones.......and multitudes of other edible goodies to decorate!

If you get a large gingerbread man cookie cutter or shaped pan, you can make large Gingerbread Men also, and decorate those instead of the houses.

The houses are fun though, because you can do them for ANY Holiday!

Reaction score
It is fun, because the different ways you can decorate it are endless!!! You can use candy, cookies, sprinkles, fondant, edible images, ice cream cones.......and multitudes of other edible goodies to decorate!

If you get a large gingerbread man cookie cutter or shaped pan, you can make large Gingerbread Men also, and decorate those instead of the houses.

The houses are fun though, because you can do them for ANY Holiday!

I love this idea. I would have fun decorating the guys too, but the house is the part I'd enjoy the most, I think. Some of them just look so pretty. I love doing creative stuff, so decorating a little house would be right up my alley. There are so many items to choose from, and you offered lots of good ideas.

I would definitely have fun with this. How hard is it to actually do? I'm guessing it's a little tougher than it looks...

Reaction score
I love this idea. I would have fun decorating the guys too, but the house is the part I'd enjoy the most, I think. Some of them just look so pretty. I love doing creative stuff, so decorating a little house would be right up my alley. There are so many items to choose from, and you offered lots of good ideas.

I would definitely have fun with this. How hard is it to actually do? I'm guessing it's a little tougher than it looks...

It's not hard to do at all. The only hard part would be making all the gingerbread pieces yourself, instead of getting premade ones. Other than that, all you need is royal icing, food coloring, and all the edible decor you want to use.

You can make a big batch of the royal icing and keep a damp towel over the top of the bowl to keep it from drying out. This kind of icing dries out quickly.

Best way to do it is use a small batch of the royal icing to "glue" all of your house pieces together onto a cake board, and let it dry over night. The next day you can decorate it. You can use the food coloring to make different colors of icing if you want to decorate more with icing than candy or other edibles.

If you go to a large crafting store, they should have a baking section. They should have an assortment of fondant figures, candy figures, and even fondant kits to make your own figures, if you want to go that route.

Reaction score
It all sounds so fun. I'll have to see if I can squeeze in a day to this with my grandkids. Well, the littlest one won't be able to help out, but I'm sure they would all enjoy tasting.

I tend to go overboard on stuff like this, so I'll have to keep it simple for my first go round. Maybe I'll try for a simple gingerbread cottage (before I start designing the gingerbread Victorian mansion, ha ha).

Thanks for the great tips, @ChesterV.

Ask a Question