Recycled Jars

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is there a law or rule or legislation saying that you cannot sell preserves in recycled jars?

Reaction score
I don't know the answer but found your question interesting. I would think if the jars were sanitized it would be ok. But, how would you prove that? But, then again,
how does someone selling items in a new jar prove that they are new? Hmmmmm. I hope someone has an answer for you!
Are you selling things in jars? What do you make? For some reason when I saw your post I automatically thought
of homemade salsa!!! LOL I must be craving it! :)

Reaction score
There's no law (I believe in effect) that you cannot sell preserves in recycled jars. This is actually eco-friendly. Your main concern is to be sure these containers are properly sanitized for re-use. You might want to check out Canning 101 for more information. It goes into details about this process.

Reaction score
Hi mommy42 i sell preserves such as jams marmalades chutneys oils pickles jellys vinegars as well as cakes and baked goods

I thought the law was that they had to be 'new' jars but i agree how can someone prove they are not?

Ask a Question